Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate and Joan Armatrading

From: 70604.3311@compuserve.com (Michael R. Abram)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 19:23:16 GMT
Subject: Kate and Joan Armatrading
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Jack Edwards wrote:

>>  Michael R. Abram wrote:
>>
>> How did you like Hounds of Love?  If you're in the mood for
>> another great singer, try Ani Difranco.  She's terrific!
>
> You know..........I was just yesterday thinking " I gotta
> get back to the Kate Newsgroup and thank those kind folks
> for their time and let them know how I like their suggestion!
> I swear it's true!  So I would like you to post this reply
> for me.
>
> I bought *hounds* back about a month ago and gave it a few
> good listens. I must be honest, my first impressions were
> not positive. I first tried to "feel" influences both to
> and from Kate and it was painfully obvious that Kate is
> very strongly influenced by Joan Armatrading. I thought
> that much of the music could have been written by Joan. I
> could also see the threads being drawn to Tori Amos' vocal
> and expression styling. Very similar yet separate in their
> innovation. All in all a very interesting experience. I love
> *The big sky* and *jig of life*. I think they are really
> fresh and inventive and sound new even though they are now
> over a decade old! It took me a while to "grow" into this
> CD but it is that way for me with many of my favorite artists.
> If it were too accessable right away I probably would have
> lost interest in it quickly, but this is one CD in my heavy
> rotation now! I'm gonna make another Kate purchase before too
> long and I'll give my impressions again after a little
> "studying"!!!
> --
> Jack Edwards --------->  jaxx@worldnet.att.net <<

Joan Armatrading, huh?  That's the first time I remember anyone
making the association to Kate!  I've seen Joan perform on
Saturday Night Live, but don't have any of her albums.  I know
she's been around for twenty years, and I guess she deserves a
closer look.

For your next Kate purchase, I repeat my recommendation of The
Sensual World, as my favorite next to Hounds of Love.

Happy Listening,
Michael

"Love, like lightning, goes where it will" - MRA