Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The "Skyscraping" album...

From: st@epcc.edinburgh.ac.uk (Scott Telford)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 16:53:19 GMT
Subject: Re: The "Skyscraping" album...
To: rec-music-gaffa@britain.eu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <199607262312.TAA19118@remus.rutgers.edu>, maybe the last
real beer in america (woj@remus.rutgers.edu) wrote:

> also sprach Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk>:
>
> >I'd appreciate it if somebody could give me info. on the "Skyscraping"
> >album by Paddy Bush and Colin Lloyd Tucker... like is it still available,
> >a catalogue number, what the album can be compared to, and the other
> >usual stuff.
>
> the album is catalog number bah 8 on the humbug label ("a fork of
> trident music, po box 2903, london n1 3ne, send a self-addressed,
> stamped envelope for a catalog"). dunno about availability, but i can't
> imagine why it would no longer be findable.

This (and "Remarkable" and "Songs of Life Love and Liquid", CLT's other
Humbug releases) is quite difficult to find in (UK) record shops - I've
only ever seen one copy of Skyscraping and Remarkable each in a shop (a
big HMV store) and I've got both of them now 8-)

> i haven't listened to the record that much to write about it
> cohesively, but the songs on it are a well-mixed collection of styles.

The style of Skyscraping is difficult to define, kinda ethnic ambient
mixed with whimsical rocky stuff and some good acoustic guitar near the
end. CLT's other albums are equally whimsical but less ethnic (Paddy
influence of course).

> there is some singing (not sure who, but one of them sings remarkably
> like david sylvian's low voice), but most of it is instrumental,

The lead vocals are Colin. He's got an interesting low growly voice.

--
Scott Telford, Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre,        <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK.(+44 131 650 5978)