Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate and Happy at the record stores

From: Philip.Sainty@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Sainty)
Date: 26 Jul 1996 01:20:41 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate and Happy at the record stores
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa, alt.music.ecto
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <gondola-2207960312450001@ana1047.deltanet.com>,
Gondola Bob <gondola@deltanet.com> wrote:
>In article <4ssdvj$5pb@news-e2c.gnn.com>, gearnoise@news-e2c.gnn.com (Neal
>Mulvenna) wrote:
>> 3. Looks like there's a new Bel Canto album out called Magic Box.
>> Any opinions on it?
>
>Better than past efforts, but still just too damn "cold."

Oo, I have to disagree with that... (Perhaps not surprising, as
I love the previous albums :)

What I've heard of "Magic Box" sounded very much a radio-friendly
collection of dance songs (much like you'd hear listening to most pop
radio stations, or walking past a nightclub...)  I played the single,
"Rumour", and never having heard it before, I could literally do a
count-down to when the big heavy dance beat was going to kick in...

I didn't listen to the whole thing, but I heard too many songs that I
disliked to want to hear the rest...

Definitely their poorest effort in my opinion, so I guess my advice
is that if you really like their earlier albums, you may want to
avoid this one.

Philip
--
Philip Sainty            |  What are your dreams?               |  _O_   Am I