Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Show A Little Devotion and *that* page

From: Emmy May Lombaerts <lombaeg@mail.interpac.be>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 22:40:28 +0200
Subject: Show A Little Devotion and *that* page
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Sean wrote: <TWOMEYS@acadamh.ucd.ie>

>I would really appreciate any information about the Kate track "Show
>a little Devotion " ,what does it sound like ? Is it a throwaway
>B-side or is it interesting ?

   Hmm, IMHO it's not one of Kate's best songs. Not that it's *bad*, but
it's really not one of my faves. It's an uptempo song, almost rocky, but it
doesn't seem to go anywhere.

  Vocally, it reminds me the most of "Ken" really, although "Ken" has a lot
more power to it, and is definitely better. I suppose it's more of a
completists'song than a real must-have. But of course that's just my
opinion, and seeing this list is full of other Kate-fanatics, I'm sure some
of them must think "Show A Little Devotion" is the bees' knees.

>p.s. Does anyone else agree with me that, while slightly overblown
>,the track You Want Alchemy contains some of Kates' most beautiful
>imagery ?

    I agree that the lyrics are very poetic and beautiful. But sadly, the
song as a whole doesn't do much for me at all. In many ways, I was rather
disappointed with the B-sides from "The Red Shoes". They're not bad (even
Kate's lesser songs are still tons better than most artists' best ones), but
still they seem to lack a certain something.. I dunno.. .

   Then, jumping on the 'Third best album thread'. I've always liked "The
Dreaming" the most (now that's original :) ), closely followed by "The Kick
Inside", and then "Never Forever". So, "NFE", for me, is Kate's third best
album.

   And finally, about this entire frames/HTML-debate. I checked out that
page everyone seems to be so vocal about. And although I agree that there
should have been a "no frames"-option to make the page more accessible (and
less annoying to people who have NetScape or MSIE but would rather not see
frames), I do think all the bashing was uncalled for. The guy who wrote it
isn't a professional HTML-writer, perhaps it was his first effort... . So
maybe certain people could have been a little more tolerant? Simply asking
someone nicely to provide a no frames-option or explaining their mistakes
politely so they can learn from them, IMHO, is still going to accomplish
more than shouting "That page sucks!!" all over the place. There's a human
behind the other screen, you know? And that's all I'm saying on the matter.
As Sam pointed out already, this is a list about Kate and not about
browser-and HTML-wars.

            Emmy

         'Words Weren't Made For Cowards'
                          *Happy Rhodes*