Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

misK

From: Douglas Alan <nessus@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:11:21 -0400
Subject: misK
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

1. The answer is clearly that *The Sensual World* is Kate's third best
   album.  What other answer could there be.

2. The words at the end of "The Dreaming" are lyrics from an
   Aboriginal song called "Aeroplane, Aeroplane".  It is one of the
   first Aboriginal songs about airplanes.  This information was
   conveyed to me by John Carder Bush at the 1985 Kate Bush
   Convention.  He didn't remember what the word actually were though.
   Notice how the Aboriginal airplane lyrics come right before the "Night
   of the Swallow", which is a song about an airplane.  Isn't Kate
   awesome?

3. Regarding "Tori Aimless"... isn't that "Boring Aimless".  At least
   that's what my wife calls her through my adament protests.  Perhaps
   Tori's latest album is turning me to my wife's perspective, though...

4. Although there is certainly merit in making information available
   to everyone, Chris Williams's claim that a Web page which only
   works with Netscape is worse that apartheid is without a doubt the
   most upsurd and offensive statement I have seen in all my years on
   the Internet (which is many more years than I wish to admit).  Some
   African American person should go wap Chris upside his head.

   First of all, not everyone is blessed with infinite amounts of
   time.  Some people have to be content with doing what they can in
   the amount of free time they have, and if that's not 100% perfect,
   well then that's going to have to be good enough.  Hearing someone
   screaming "Nazi!" for such a minor transgression makes my blood
   curdle.

   Scondly, if you haven't noticed there is a war occuring on the
   Internet, and whether you like it or not, there is going to be only
   one winner: The choice is between Microsoft and Netscape.
   Microsoft is probably going to win this battle; in which case we
   will all lose.  On the other hand, there is still hope for
   Netscape.  Netscape may also be a dictator, but perhaps it will be
   a more benevolant dictator than the evil Microsoft.  The best way
   to hurt Microsoft is to make every Web page you can only compatible
   with Netscape.  What is of issue is whether this tactic is worth
   all the 286-owning pawns that will be sacrificed along the way.
   The issue is not so black and white.

   Thirdly, much of what is wrong with the world can be traced to
   "backward compatibility".  Sure C++ is backward compatible with C,
   but look at the cost: A monstrosity of a language that is less
   powerful than laguages that are a hundred times simpler.  And even
   so it wasn't able to maintain 100% compatibility.  And of course,
   programs that use C++ features won't compile under a C compiler.
   And there aren't any C++ compilers for 286's.  Are modern
   programming languages also worse than apartheid?

- The angriest |>oug in the world