Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Electric Youth

From: stev0@zuni.chaco.com (Steve Berlin)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 00:28:01 -0700
Subject: Electric Youth
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

My housemate is gone for the month; he's the type who has to
have THE latest toys, no matter how expensive or pointless.
("ooh, look!  Sony has a NEW model of their Atomic-powered Dog
Toothbrush!  And Fry's has it on sale!  Let's go!"

"Ron, you don't have a dog."

"Oh, yeah, I forgot").

The upshot of this is that I get to play with today's latest (at least, until
the new Netscape-version-of-the-week comes out) toys, stuff I've been
dying to try out but couldn't.  Here's what I found:

The Worlds of Kate Bush
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/index.htm

VRML Kate!  Unfortunately (as creator Len Bullard admits) they're rather
slow since they were mostly experimental.  The most promising one
is Homeground Towers, but I didn't have the patience to look at all the little
nooks and crannies.  My favorite by far was "Strange Phenomena".  I won't
spoil it by describing it - just see it for yourself!

The Kate Bush Shocked Concerts
http://www.intserv.com/~dobenson/kate_shocked_concert.html

>From arguably the best Kate site
(Note the new URL, folks:
http://www.intserv.com/~dobenson/kate/the_muse.html  )
these are Shockwave movies done by David Benson.

I'm not sure whether it was the machine I was using or the site
(probably some unholy combination of the two), either the sub-sites
would crash Netscape (something crashing Netscape?  I bet that's
a FIRST!) or I would get the sound but no video.  But hey, it's better
than what I got before (ie, nothing).

(I'm not going to rate these two sites since I couldn't really see them
in proper context).

Here's some other new sites I found:

A Tribute to Kate Bush
http://www.worldchat.com/public/foozer/foozer.htm

Did I review this one already?  I don't remember.  Either way, it's a pretty
good site with everything you'd expect.  Also is a Reader's Digest version
of The Garden.  A good site for folks in a rush.  Rating: *** (three stars)

Irgendwo in Der Tiefe
http://itsnova.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~meiswink/katebush.htm
A German Kate Bush club!  Unfortunately, the site is entirely in German
(an English translation is promised), so I really can't say much about it
(although it DOES include lots of info on "Der Pfad, das Herz und das
Lächeln").  No grade, again, since I can't see it in context.

Also, as any regular here knows, by far the most frequently asked
question around here is, "Hey, what are they saying about Fruitopia
in Hungary?"  Unfortunately, no one knew the answer so it's been the
subject of massive flame wars.

Well, now we have the definitive answer!
http://www.idg.hu/internetto/zene/altcult/h257.htm

- Stev0 the Katespotter

"Let's put in more BLINK!"
 - The mantra of all Netscape lovers