Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Get Out of My House (was: Animal Sounds)

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 21:44:53 -0700
Subject: Re: Get Out of My House (was: Animal Sounds)

Jennifer Wallenfels wrote:

> > Well in "Get Out Of My House," she "turns into the mule" before
> > all the 'eee-aww's begin.
>
> Hi, I'm a newbie so excuse my unfamilarity with Usenet.  I tried to post a response to this before
> but I think I just replied to the originator.  So, at the risk of repeating myself:
>
> Someone told me once that the mule thing in GOOMY is a reference to Shakespeare - Midsummer Night's
> Dream, I think.  Any Speare-heads out there to clear this up for us?
>
> Jenn

Wow. Never thought of that before. In "Midsummer" the character
of Bottom, who is an insufferable fool, is changed into an ass
by Puck, a fairy. All of Bottom's friends are terribly
frightened by this turn of events, though Bottom himself is
unaware that the transformation has even taken place. Alone out
in the woods, he stumbles on Titania, the queen of the fairies.
She is under a spell herself, and falls instantly (and
comically) in love with Bottom, ass-head and all. Later, as both
spells are reversed, Titania is repulsed by her former
attraction to Bottom, and he believes he's simply had a weird
dream.

Don't quite see how it fits in the song, but my interpretation
of the song may be different from someone else's.

> ps  I've been waiting forever to get access to a news server just so I could join this group!

Welcome!

Robb