Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori running up that rock :)

From: violet@slip.net
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 15:44:52 -0800
Subject: Tori running up that rock :)

I'm miles behind on reading (as has been usual lately), but this caught my eye.

Robb wrote:
>Wow...wonder if she'll ever do a full-out rendition...and why
>she chose RUTH instead of one of Kate's more piano-based
>songs...and why she chose to sing it in the middle of another
>cover song. Weird. Someone get that cornflake girl on the phone.

On a recent local radio show, Tori said that RUTH was the first Kate song
she ever heard (and only a couple of years ago, I believe).  She was blown
away by it.  She said it was the most amazing, perfectly crafted song and
she wished she had written it. :)  I'm pretty sure that this was in
response to a question the DJ had asked her on whether Kate had been an
influence (or what she thought of her, something along those lines).

It is because of this that I believe Tori when she says she was NOT
influenced by Kate as everyone wants to believe ... if you could have heard
the way she spoke of Kate, you would know that if Kate HAD been an
influence, Tori would definitely have no qualms about saying so.  She's
never had any problem naming names when it comes to people who've inspired
her.  I simply chalk the similarities up to "same universe, similar minds."
It does happen, you know. :)

Violet
xoxox

P.S. Oh, almost forgot...Tori often puts bits of songs in the middle of others.
She has thrown in pieces of Led Zepp songs a LOT.  But you know, if she
sang any part of RUTH at all, I guarantee you that that means she sat down
and practiced playing the whole thing at some point. :)

       *             Visualize whirled peas.               *