Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Anybody remember Break-Through?

From: rhonda@enterprise.ca (Tiny Dancer)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 16:36:23 -0400
Subject: Re: Anybody remember Break-Through?

TT posted this:

>Back in the 80s there was a KB fanzine called Break-Through, published out
>of Canada by a husband and wife team who eventually got divorced when one
>of them (The Husband) found Jesus and decided Kate was evil.

Really?! I didn't know about The Husband finding The Big Guy and all, what a shame.
No, no, no, not the finding Jesus part, the other part. Whew! Saved myself some
flammage there I hope!

>This was a bad thing, because the magazine, published in tabloid style,
>was quite good--I dare say better than Homeground at times.

I can't comment on any comparison to the recent Homegrounds, as I only have a few
copies from the 80's, issues number 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7, when it was a copy-paper
version stapled together with those big, bulky staples. I assume it's changed over
the years. But I do have one single copy of Break-Through from Aug/Sept '84, and I
read it every now and then when I need a lift. Chock-full of that wonderful brand of fan
worship our Kate brings out in us all, letters, artwork, the cute "Lion Around" cartoon,
even a crossword puzzle wahoo! I treasure this particular copy as it has lots of writeups
on the Bush-Con held in Winnipeg, Manitoba and, at the time, blew me away that so
many other people adored Kate too. Who knew that years later I'd be a Love-Hound?

>Does anybody know what happened to the female side of the partnership that
>published Break-through

Sorry I can't help out with this one, nobody ever tells me anything!

>Let me know if there's anyone out there who remembers this rather fine
>(in its time) fanzine.

I agree with this assessment Tom, the pictures alone in my copy are worth having,
as well as some great magazine article reprints from Melody Maker ('78) and 19 Magazine
from '82. I'm sure you die-hard collectors out there already have the originals, but I was
thrilled to have these versions. So, there you have it Tom, yes, some of us do remember
and miss having this fanzine around. Anyone else?

Cheers,

Tiny Dancer

where on your palm is my little line
when you're written in mine
as an old memory?
       from "Jig Of Life"

                   Recently renovated! Must be seen to be believed!
                       http://www.enterprise.ca/~rhonda/index.html
                                      A steal at any price!