Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Gaffaweb

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 13:42:50 -0500
Subject: Re: Gaffaweb
To: vickie@miso.wwa.com
CC: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>It's been mentioned on LH/gaffa several times, but it's not too
>late. If you have something you want to contribute to the project,
>you still have a month to do it. In this case, too many cooks
>do *not* spoil the dish, but make it into a full-course dinner.

I must have missed the invite.  Too much to do right now.

Most of what I have are the VRML objects I made for the
kate worlds.  Y'all are welcome to use anything in
there any way you see fit.  The 3D KT logo is
nice.  All of the objects can be separated.
There are some technical issues, particularly, pallette
collisions.  They can be put in separate frames.
Since the big files load slow, that is a good
tactic usually.  If no textures are applied, as in
the case of the logo, then there is no problem.
The animated cubes can be inserted as
embedded plugins in a sized window.  The animations
require netscape live3d, but the logos should
work with any VRML browser.  I made screen shots
for AfterDark background shows.  These are JPGs.

>Images will abound, but they'll be linked so that Lynx users can
>download them if they want.

Good idea.  Reconnects are the painful aspect
of multiframing and inlines.

>The only "Netscapeism" I plan on doing is putting the FAQ into
>Frames. However, it'll be presented as a choice, rather than the
>only way to view the FAQ. And it's not a priority item. (Talking
>about Frames, not the FAQ!)

Good idea.  i use the frames for simultaneous cross targeting
where I wish them to view objects and have the ability
to switch among sets in a control frame without reloading
a complex scene.  The new Talosian Spaceport
works like that.  One issue has been RAM and the video board.
It is pretty easy to eat the resources and shut out low
end systems, so all in all, y'all have the right idea.

>Not vital for Kate. This site is not meant to increase either
>her presence on the web or sell more of her albums. It's meant
>as a service and tribute to Kate fans. Anything beyond that
>would just be icing.

Ok.  That is important.

>    She cares, yes, but does she understand our individual and
> collective mindset? I don't think so. I really doubt that the
> site (or any Kate site) will be very interesting to her. The
> fact that the Sony Kate page is so poor, and the EMI Kate page
> is non-existant, speaks volumes. If she were interested in the web,
> she'd probably push to improve *that* situation first.

I get the impression that if someone in that camp were
to push, it would be John Carder or Hillary, but at
this distance, what do I know??  One way or another,
things will improve.  I've been pushing Sony a bit,
and they are one of the major players in the VRML
effort. It is likely that as it meets other marketing efforts,
they may pursue it for their major recording artists,
but it would work a helluva lot better if the artists
themselves would pursue it.  The companies will put
effort where the money is, and that is the music business
in a nutshell.  Kate can't stay distant forever and
expect them to help her.  At some point, she has to
be the one to do that.  You are right: it probably doesn't interest
her.  I understand because it is technically challenging
to learn this emerging artform.

>    This isn't being made for Kate.
>
>    It's being made for *us*.

Kate is one of us. just my opinion...

>    The quality and *quantity* of the work done, especially by
> Vickie, is astonishing. It has to be seen to be believed.

>(He loves me :-))

Which makes you a very lucky woman.

>I should point out that there is a group of
>us working on different parts of the gaffaweb, and together
>we're making sure it'll be cool. ... It's a group
>effort through and through.

That's a lot of the fun.  The Kate Worlds benefited
enormously from David Benson, Wieland, IED, Bryan
Dongray, Robert Geiger, and Lance Day.  Screen shots
from the worlds are being included in two or more books
about to be published on multimedia, and it will be the
main topic of the keynote address in Seattle.  It was worth the
long winter, and it worked for what I intended it to
do which was promote Kate and VRML... so, success.

I predict Gaffaweb will be an enormously valuable
resource to all of us, and thanks!

>Vickie (I love him too!)

Which makes him a very lucky man.  Thanks eversomuch
for filling me in on the effort.  I'll insert
a link as soon as the site opens.

len
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/