Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

New-age "music"

From: j46061a@nucc.cc.nagoya-u.ac.jp (CHOTIN Fabrice)
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 09:33:53 +0900 (JST)
Subject: New-age "music"
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>I agree. But I don't like to describe her music such quasi-religious terms as
>"She's sounds like an angel"or "a heavenly aura". But I don't deny such
>descriptions.And it is natural that good music always transcend mundane
>realities.How I describe Enya's music--difficult,not only because of my poor
>English skill. I'll also feel difficult,if I try it with Japanese. But
>it's surethat I feel her
>music as wild and elegant at the same time.
 >By the way, I don't know how to define so-called "New Age" music.
 >Please tell me.

 >Sumita Mikio
 >sumita@ptij.or.jp
 >       From wet wet wet Japan

New age music? Well... Calling it "music" is  exaggerated. I mean the
original new age "music", the one linked with the new age movement, records
made for meditating and such things... The kind of record you can make by
randomly press the keyboard of any synthetiser and adding some choirs,
bells and one or two exotic sounding instruments. This is supposed to be a
relaxing stuff, but any music lover cannot listen it  more than a minute
without finding it really boring.
Anyways, the problem is that in a lot of records shops, when they don't
know how to classify a new music, they call it new age, especially if it's
a quiet music... So you can find a lot of different artists in the new age
section, though most of them don't consider themselves to deserve this
label (and they don't!). This happened for Enya, maybe because her music is
quite cool. And since a lot of new age noise makers inclued some celtic
influences on their works, I am afraid she will never get rid of this
stupid categorization. Luckily, as far as I know, nobody thought to put
Kate Bush's records in the new age section, but I am sure it could
happen... I saw once Mike Oldfield in it!
 So, as "new age" is now given to very different kinds of musics, and not
only the muzak it was originally naming, this label doesn't really mean
anything...

                                                                        Fabrice.

>From wet wet wet Japan too ;-)

"I am the "who" when you call "who's there?"...