Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Not only Kate...

From: c9204374@student.anu.edu.au (Dan)
Date: 15 Jun 1996 07:41:02 GMT
Subject: Re: Not only Kate...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <31C1580F.15FB@rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de>,
amahdavi@rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de (Andisheh Mahdavi) wrote:

> 10mm@mbay.net wrote:
> >
> > And isn't it a given that all Kate fans are also Beatles/Bowie/Gabriel
> > fans?
>
> I'm sorry, but I believe this is simply not the case. Nor should it be
> taken for granted that all Kate fans love her for "Don't Give Up" on
> that Peter Gabriel song. There is in fact at least one fan who regards
> it as marking the beginning of the end of her art. Yes, it is possible
> to love NF-TD-HoL and think that thereafter her music has more than just
> a few negligible flaws.

  Here we go again so it's time to say my piece in defence of her later
work. Artists can't keep on releasing the same style of music because they
get criticised for it. However, Kate can't win because she gets criticised
for releasing new stuff and trying new styles. People should appreciate
that she does have new ideas and is not running out of creative talent.
Enya was criticised for Shepherd Moons because it was similar to Watermark
in style. So if you don't like her later work there is no need to say its
flawed because it's different from her older work. She still produces gems
such as This Woman's work and Moments of Pleasure. A couple of her later
songs are hard to take, but then again so are some of her older songs. I
think she isn't slipping at all, and Mna na h-eireann proves it.

IMHO
Dan.