Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Other music -- try to top this

From: jjh969@aol.com (JJH969)
Date: 12 Jun 1996 17:55:04 -0400
Subject: Re: Other music -- try to top this
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <4pl6mj$o76@dfw-ixnews9.ix.netcom.com>,
ohmigod@ix.netcom.com (Mr. H) writes:

>On one end we have: Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica, Napalm Death, Carcass,
>Megadeth, Ministry, John Zorn (demented jazz/punk),  Body Count, etc.
>
>On the other end, we have: Stravinsky, Sade, Cherubini, anything by
>the Judds, any old country, Pet Shop Boys, Howard Jones, Simon &
>Garfunkel, MR. James Brown, etc.

Mr. H,
           Schizophrenia can be controlled with proper medication.  ;-)
I'm always pleased to see references to Zorn, they pop up in the
strangest places.  If you ever see a copy of his Japanese release,
"Cynical Hysteria Hour" pick it up, it's some of his finest work,
it features some of his most talented collaborators as well.  That's
one of the things I have to thank John for, his exposing me to a
wide variety of very unusual, if somewhat challenging  music.  He
usually works with good people, people who I might not have
otherwise become aware of.   The disc I mentioned above
features Bill Frisell, Wayne Horvitz, Bobby Previte, Cyro Batista,
Christian Marclay, Kermit Driscoll, Carrol Emanuel, Arto Lindsay,
Pete Scherer, Mark Ribot, Dave Hofstra.  Also on the disc are
Jill Jaffee, Ikue Mori, Maxine Neuman and Kiriko Kubo.  The
disc is the a soundtrack to the Japanese cartoon of the same
name.  It was released in 1989 and may be very hard to find.
The cartoons were released in very limited quantity as well,
and if the disc doesn't pass your way, the tapes would be worth
seeking out.
                 John