Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MNh'E

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 10:00:44 -0100
Subject: MNh'E
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hello friends,
back from a trip, I had the pleasure to read through 2 weeks LH in one go.
Very funny... I hope the reason for all this nonsense is that the
LH-braintrust is working on something else atm...
My personal highlight:

>I know of the Cathy Demos, but I've not heard anything from
>them, ... so to be straightforward: are they any good?

Oh boy. ARE THEY ANY GOOD?
Bryan, please help me out.
Man, what we have here is the purest word of God, mankind has ever
experienced.
ARE THEY ANY GOOD? sounds like IS KATE BUSH ANY GOOD? to me.

On Fri, 31 May 1996 14:48:40 -0400
IED asked:

>IED had been under the impression that Kate's
>track took a pre-existing traditional lyric
>and set it to an original melody of Kate's
>invention.  Does anyone have previous knowledge
>of the song? If so can they explain how Kate's
>melody differs from earlier recordings, if at
>all?

The only other recording I have is from Sinead O'Connor. The melody is the
same in both recordings so I assume it's a traditional tune. Both versions
are incredibly beautiful. To lull children to sleep, I would take
Sinead's version. KaTe sings with more passion.
Other recordings:
- The Chieftains, 196-?, Soundtrack for Barry Lyndon
- The Wolfe Tones, Woman of Ireland, 198-?
- Susan McKeown & the chanting house, Snakes/Mna na hE/ireann(first verse), on
  the album Bones, Sheila-na-Gig Music, 1995.  Distributed in Ireland by Gael
  Linn.

Bryan asked, if the lyrics I have posted a while ago are correct.
I followed them line by line and I think they are more or less correct. The
problem is, I don't understand a word of it and the pronounciation is a
complete mystery to me. VERY difficult!

MNA NA H'EIREANN
****************

Ta bean in Eirinn a phronnfadh sead damh is mo shaith le n-ol
Is ta bean in Eireann is ba bhinne leithe mo rafla ceoil
No seinm thead; ata bean in Eirinn is niorbh fhearr lei beo
Mise ag leimnigh no leagtha i gcre is mo tharr faoi fhod.

Ta bean in Eirinn a bheadh ag ead liom mur bhfaighfinn ach pog
O/ bhean ar aonach, nach ait an sceala, is mo dhaimh fein leo;
Ta bean ab fhearr liom no cath is cead dhiobh nach bhfagham go deo
Is ta cailin speiriuil ag fear gan Bhearla, dubhghranna croin.

Ta bean a dearfadh da siulann leithe go bhfaighinn an t-or,
Is ta bean 'na leine is is fearr a mein no na tainte bo
Le bean a bhuairfeadh Baile an Mhaoir is clar Thir Eoghain,
Is ni fhaicim leigheas ar mo ghalar fein ach scaird a dh'ol.

From: Mandy Heath <mbrx5ajh@stud.man.ac.uk>
Date: 1 Jun 1996 15:53:40 GMT

>Has anyone noticed that Kate is the only artist on the album to
>own the copyright of their song?
>Novercia is Kate's 'company', yeah?
>What does 'Novercia' mean anyway?
>Suggestions?

Oh joy! Mandy, hello!!! How are you?
Novercia? I know of two possible meanings:

1. = Nova Veritas/Noverca (lat. = new truth/She who is new/Stepmother...)
2. = Anagram for Veronica

Best wishes
Wieland

S  R  I

PS: So far IED holds the record for the number of blanks between the "S",
the "R" and the "I". Give it a try!