Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Misguided, TRS

From: Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 13:02:37 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Misguided, TRS
To: James Mitchell <jmitchel@wheaton.edu>
cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

I can see the attraction of a lot of dance music. Don't get me wrong, I
don't hate it. I like a lot of '80s soul and dance, and I don't think I
could bear to listen to Kate non-stop all year round. I like to step out
'into the sensual world' and enjoy some relaxing music other than Kate's
(at the moment, it's The Cranberries and Eternal (don't laugh)). Just
that I seem to go through a cycle during the year, and by winter I'm sure
I'll be listening to "The Ninth Wave" again. I just feel Kate's music,
especially from TD onwards, is more escapist than other artists', even
people like Tori Amos (sorry to have to mention her). I mean (I think I
may have said this before), for me, Kate's music is like a good film. For
the time I spend listening to it, I can escape into somebody else's world
and maybe even think about its relevance to my own life.

James, you also mention that you think TRS is nearly a concept album.
Well, listening to "Constellation of the Heart" she sings the line "Just
being alive, it can really hurt", which is also heard in "Moments of
Pleasure" and, I think - excuse my memory, "And So Is Love". Perhaps this
track was originally intended to be part of a longer story than Kate's
film turned out to be. Also, in "Constellation..." and "Top of the City"
she sings about a ladder that will take her to heaven/the top of the
city. Maybe this track too was supposed to be in the film.

Alan.