Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Pull of the bush

From: "David S. Graham" <dsgraham@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 00:42:02 +1100
Subject: Re: Pull of the bush
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Stuart M. Castergine wrote:

> On Thu, 30 May 1996 13:36:13 +1000 c9204374@student.anu.edu.au (Dan) wrote:
>
> >I agree with Mike Dale that it has to do with aboriginal spirituality -
> >especially in the context of the song. I always thought that it was what
> >prompted aboriginals to go walk-about (which is when they go off and wander
> >around the bush by themselves for an extended period of time).
> >

> I always thought it was about how those thorns get stuck in your shirt and you
> have to be really careful getting them out or you rip your shirt and wouldn't
> you know it just when you get one part of your shirt free another part gets
> stuck and you end up ripping it anyway don't you hate it when that happens?
>
> ;-)
>
> Stu
>
> --
> scasterg@dispatch.com == Stuart M. Castergine        |              ---
> All young gentle dreams drowning                     | "Mmm, yes."   |/
> In life's grief                                      |               |\
> Can you hang on to me? --Kate Bush, _Big Stripey Lie_|

What is the problem with you people? In Oz(Australian) English:- Bush
means: wilderness, forest or brush/savannah land; basically non-urban
Oz. A bushfire is a forestfire!. Kate would have certainly been aware
of the pun on her own surname.

Though the problem with this song from an OZ point of view; is the use
of the word Motorway. At the time, Highway would have been the correct
term. The term "Motorway" has only come into use with the introduction
of non-government (i.e private) inner-city freeways. Tollway is such a
financially-incorrect word.

Cheers Mates
david