Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Red Shoes Blues

From: "David S. Graham" <dsgraham@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 00:24:01 +1100
Subject: Re: Red Shoes Blues
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Dave Watkins wrote:

> After reading all the posts about people's least favourite Kate songs, it
> occured to me that a lot of the songs on The Red Shoes were included in the
> lists.  Is it widely considered that The Red Shoes is Kate's worst album?
> I rather like it.
> I think the trouble is that several of the songs on the album have very
> repetitve structures e.g. "Rubberband Girl", "The Red Shoes", "Shoedance",
> "Eat the Music" etc, and this makes them boring and tedious to listen to.
> However for me, these songs are outweighed by tracks like "And so is Love",
> "Song of Solemon", "Lily", and "You're the One". What do you think?
>
> Here are my least favourite songs:-
>
> (1) The Dreaming
> (2) Sat in Your Lap
> (3) Eat the Music (Extended Mix)
> (4) Violin
> (5) Kite
> (6) Them Heavy People
> (7) Leave it Open
> (8) Lord of the Reedy River
> (9) The Red Shoes
> (10) All We Ever Look For
>
> However, even a "bad" Kate song is still a lot better than many of the
> songs out there.
>
> Dave
>
> BTW, I recieved a Comman Ground postcard through the post the other day.
> Can't think where it came from.  Maybe the Kate Bush Fan Club or
> Homeground.  It's very nice.

Why does everyone bag TRS? Sure it's not one of KB's best albums, like
TKI, HOL or NFE, but it is certainly worth owning. It is perhaps more
like LH :- a transition album.  Even at her most mediocore she shows
"moments" of genious.

And what is "shoedance"? The version I have only includes 12 tracks.

I Think the best tracks on TRS are:

And So is love,
Songs of Soloman,
Lily,