Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Three subjects

From: gearnoise@VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 96 01:21:28 EDT
Subject: Three subjects
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

1. The Sensual World redux?

(This may have been covered a few years back, but have pity on me; I just
 discovered gaffa recently)
After I entered my previous missive of Bests and Worsts, I got to trying
to analyze why it was that I rarely play The Sensual World.  After all,
there are several great songs on it.  Admittedly though, I wouldn't have
minded if someone had put a certain trio in a weighted sack and dropped
them off a bridge while they were still kittens.  Anyway, I put the CD on
for a few spins and tried hard to listen to it all again.
Then it came to me; the performances are too LUSH for my ears. Admittedly,
I have a bit of a hearing loss (brought on years ago by a summer job in
a steel shop in the days before OSHA, aggravated by too many college
"beer BLASTS" in Rochester and Ithaca, NY, and then "aged to perfection"),
which makes it hard for me to distinguish Kate's voice from all the other
sounds on most of these tracks.  I don't have that problem on any other
of her albums.
Is this a unique experience for me, or do others have a similar
experience with TSW?
= = = = = = = = = = = = =
2. One more Best and Worst that I forgot before:

Absolute best song in the world to have going through your head while
pedalling a bike up a long steep hill:
     1. Cloudbusting
= = = = = = = = = = = = =
3. Request for a tape:

I don't know if I'll ever come across the TWW box, so I would appreciate
it if some kind soul could make a tape of the songs on CD #1.  As an old
Donovan fan, I am especially interested in hearing the Lord Of The Reedy
River cover.  How old a fan?  Our 23 year old daughter is named Lalena.
(I'm posting this differently than prior posts. Hope it takes!)
Neal Mulvenna                                          __/__/T_ -- -
internet: gearnoise@vnet.ibm.com                      / /\ </\ \ --