Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Big Stripey...

From: SamiT007@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 01:00:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Big Stripey...
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>  Also, the fact that I find BIG STRIPEY
>LIE to be a sacred thing concerns me when I read that so many Lovehounds
>loathe it.

The fact that people enjoy this song completely flabbergasts me!  Personally,
I dislike Big Stripey Lie above all of Kate's other work (with the exception
of Rocket's Tail, which vies with BSL for #1 on my "worst" list) but the one
wonderful thing about all this is that WE DON'T HAVE TO AGREE!  Isn't that
marvelous!  If everyone liked all the same songs and hated all the same
songs, what would be the point of discussing any of it and what would be the
point of Kate attempting new and different styles?  What a testiment to our
individual diversity and autonomy that we can disagree about whether or not a
particular song is wonderful!  The day we all like the same Kate songs and
dislike the same Kate songs is the day I will move on to enjoying another
artist more than Kate for that will be a Big clue that she's become banal and
trite (and that's not likely to happen, thank God!)  Enjoy Big Stripey Lie --
enjoy it to the fullest, suck the marrow out of it -- if it inspires you let
it!  If it makes you want to skip to the next track, do so!  Songs are like
personalities--we don't all have to like each other, and we don't all have to
like all of Kate's songs.  Well, I'll jump off my soap-box now and climb into
bed.

'Night all!
~~~Samantha