Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The World Music Awards

From: nth-wave@easynet.co.uk (Dave Watkins)
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 21:13:54 -0300
Subject: Re: The World Music Awards
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>I saw the World Music Awards on television last night. Tragic. How all
>those sad people could benefit from a good dose of Kate, instead of ages
>of listening to dreadful modern dance music and the so-called "King of
>Pop", Michael Jackson. Really, he seems to think 'talent' is walking
>around on stage like the robot from "Buck Rogers" (Twiki?).

I thought that bit was rather funny - I just thought "How does he do that?"
It looked so cool.

> If they want true talent (okay so he has sold millions of copies of
>>"Thriller", but
>who cares? It doesn't have the same amount of innovation as TD or HOL)
>then they should, at worst, watch the Hammersmith Odeon video, or even
>better, if all Kate fans bought several copies of one of her albums
>within a single year she would qualify for a performance on these awards,
>and then she could treat them all to a wonderful version of RUTH, like
>the Amnesty International version. Then the world would hear what truly
>innovative music is. I am sooooooo angry that to qualify for the
>'talented' bracket in music these people simply have to sell the most
>records.

I agree with you.  Unfortunately, IMO a lot of artists in the music
business today want to appeal to the masses.  It seems obvious that Kate
puts a lot of effort into her music and I get the impression that even if
Kate knew that the public would react negatively to a track, she would
still relaese it if she believed in it.

>Also, how tragic the sight of all those poor children
>worshipping Jackson was. I mean, we all love Kate, but I doubt we'd all
>scream just because she said 'I love you all'. No, I believe that (most)
>Kate fans have good manners. After all, in her live performances (well,
>okay they could be edited) there aren't many screams from the crowd
>drowning out the wonderful music. It is a mark of respect that her fans
>listen patiently and give the applause due after she has finished.

I'm not a great fan of Micheal Jackson, nor do I completley hate him but I
thought that he was being way too pretentious imitating Jesus in his stage
perfomances of Earth Song.  GO Jarvis!  Also, did you see some of his fans.
They were almost on the floor with teers when he came on.

>Sorry about all that, but I am really annoyed at the state of the music
>industry, and how it gives people who are incredibly successful
>(deservedly so or not) an excuse to behave in strange ways and for their
>eccentric behaviour to be dismissed simply because the music press tells
>us these people have 'talent'.
>
>PS. Does anybody else think Peter Gabriel looked ill when he was
>presenting an award? I hope he isn't ill.
>
>Alan.

Yeah, I thought that.   He certainly didn't look his usual self.

Thanks for listening

Dave