Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Greetings from Sweden

From: joncaa95@student.umu.se (Carina Johansson)
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 13:38:09 +0100
Subject: Greetings from Sweden
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi fellow Kate fanatics! :)
I don't know if this is customary around here, but I have recently
subscribed to the list and thought I'd introduce myself. I promise I won't
write my autobiography :) even though I was born a blabber-mouth and always
will be!

So here goes:
My name is Carra (well, Carina to be honest, but noone calls me that), and
I live in Umea in the north part of Sweden. I'm 31 and I'm a research
student in comparative literature. Movies, literature, art, music, my
darling monster (as in cat) Aramis, hanging out with friends at a nice pub
(drinking too much beer and smoke too many cigarettes :) )... now these are
a few of my favourite things!

I've been a fan of Kate Bush for several years now. She's become a "sister"
to me in some sense, I feel attached to her, seek inspiration and comfort
in her music and lyrics. A very important person in my life, that I could
not do without! And yet I fail every time I try to figure out exactly
*what* intrigues me so about her. There seem to be a different Kate for
every occasion, when I reach out for her, depending on my mood... Yes, I
know, woolly... but true to me.

The first song I heard was Wuthering Heights (which made me read the book,
which I didn't like by the time being, I was only 16, but now it's one of
my favourites for many reasons!) I'm ashamed to admit that it was only
later that I became really obsessed with her (even if I liked the songs I
heard on the radio) and started to collect her albums. Maybe I needed the
time, I don't know. It's hard to pick a favourite song, but This Woman's
Work will always be very, very special to me. And so is Song of Solomon!
Ah, now I'm close to start rambling... sorry...

I was happy to find out about this list, and although I will probably not
have much to contribute with, regarding my lack of the knowledge that seem
to be the spirit here (I really don't know that much about Kate) I will
enjoy for sure to be here!

I fear that this was a horribly blurred letter... but don't say I didn't
warn you! And so I've kept you long enough! (If you made it this far)

Love, Carra

"You had a temper like my jealousy
too hot too greedy"
(Wuthering Heights, now those lines are significant for the novel IMHO! I
have never read it as a banal, conventional love story)