Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Common Ground - some details

From: overdijk@noord.bart.nl
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 09:53:20 -0100
Subject: Common Ground - some details
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi all,

well I'm now a proud owner of the Common Groud cd! For those of you who
haven't already got one here is some info from the booklet: (sorry for not
being able to add the accents. Gaelic is one difficult language!)

Common Ground
Exclusive new recordings by voices of modern Irish music

(EMI premier 7243 8 37691 2 4)

Here's the tracklisting:

1. Maire Brennan - O' bhean a 'ti
2. Tim & Neil Finn - Mary of the South Seas
3. Bono & Adam Clayton - Tomorrow
4. Sharon Shannon - Cavan potholes
5. Paul Brady - Help me to believe
6. Sinead O'Connor - On Raglan Road
7. Brian Kennedy - As I roved out
8. Elvis Costello - The night before Larry was stretched
9. Kate Bush - Mna na h-eireann
10. Davy Spillane & Donal Lunny - Whistling low / Errigal
11. Andy Irvine - My heart's tonight in Ireland
12. Liam O'Maonlai - Cathain
13. Christy Moore - Bogie's Bonnie Belle

And here are the lyrics and the notes for Kate's song:

Kate Bush: Mna na h-eirann
(O Riada)
arranged by Kate Bush, Fiachra Trench & Donal Lunny
Translation from Gaelic

there's a woman in Ireland who'd
give me a gem and my fill to drink,
there's a woman in Ireland to whom
my singing is sweeter than the music of strings
there's a woman in Ireland who
would much prefer me leaping
than laid in the clay and my belly under the sod

there's a woman in Ireland who'd envy me
if I got naught but a kiss
from a woman at a fair, isn't it strange,
and the love I have for them
there's a woman I'd prefer to a battalion,
and a hundred of them whom I will never get
and an ugly, swarthy man with
no English has a beautiful girl

there's a woman who would say
that if I walked with her I'd get the gold
and there's the woman of the shirt
whose mien is better than herds of cows
with a woman who would deafen baile
an mhaoir and the plain of tyrone
and I see no cure for my disease
but to give up the drink

Kate Bush: vocals
Nollaig Ni Chathasaigh: solo violin
Laoise Kelly: Irish harp
strings arranged and conducted by Fiachra Trench
The Irish Studio Orchestra: strings

recorded at Bunk, Junk & Genius, London, and
Windmill Lane studios, Dublin, by Tim Martin
assisted by Claire Tonkinson and Andrew Green
at BJG and by Richard Rainey and Conan
Doyle at Windmill Lane
strings recorded by Brian Masterson
Kate's voice recorded by Del Palmer
mixed at Windmill Lane by Brian Masterson
and Donal Lunny
(published by Gael Linn Teoranta/BMG Music/ Donal Lunny music)

The song itself is quite lovely and sounds quintessentially Irish. And yes,
I know the cd's all about Irish music! But Kate has chosen a *very* Irish
arrangement, what with the harp, the strings and that beautiful violin. I
mean, she could have gone for the didgeridoo that's featuring on track no.
12, which is also sung in Gaelic!
I love the intro: it is so moody! Although I can't understand a single word
she's singing (apart from `eireann') I think you can really feel what she's
singing, which is quite an achievement. Of course it helps to have the
translated lyrics! The first couple of times I listened to it I couln't
believe my ears. It was almost a surreal experience listening to her singing.
I can't help thinking that she's is singing partly about her mother...Do any
of you have that idea too?

As far as that `split' with Del is concerned: notice he's recorded her voice.

For all of you out there who'll have to wait further still: my heart goes
out to you.

p.s.:

>Thanks again to those who put me on to Jane Birkin/Serge Gainsbourg. I
>     now have a copy of Jane-B which has sent me into raptures. Does anyone
>     know where on the net I might find English translations of the songs?
>
>     Chow for now.
>     Rhys

I sincerely hope you're kidding!

Bye for now,