Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: My proposal

From: Andisheh Mahdavi <amahdavi@rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 18:29:34 +0200
Subject: Re: My proposal
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Ariusz wrote:
> I would like to know your favourite songs of Kate. For instance it would be
> sort of Top 5 of her recordings.

(No particular order)

Sat in your Lap: perhaps her most energetic song. The texture's
cleaner than that of the Big Sky, and it's less repetitive. It's what I
listen to when I'm psyched about life, work, etc. This song also
contains the inner demon of many academics: "I want to be a scholar
But I really can't be bothered. Ooh, just gimme it quick, gimme it,
gimme gimme ..."

Night of the Swallow: I find the traditional Irish music here catchier
than in the Jig of Life. The similarity of the two is actually
remarkable; both are set in the form of a dialogue. The male voice at
the end of Jig is an 80's thing that can get dated; however "something
to show / for my miserable life... / something to take ... break  even
my wings / ... like a swallow..." This has more the sound of something
that won't get dated easily.

Rhapsody in Blue: actually, no other particular reason than that
this was my first Kate song, and that I associate it with a
particularly care-free part of my college experience.

Egypt: I wish I there was a DDD recording of this one! This is a
valuable song because of the background chorus of ghosts or spirits, or
whatever they are, which is pretty intricate. I like the BVs better than
the voices of the Dreaming animals, though it is not as well-finished as
they are.

Running up that Hill: I was one of the people who thought she wanted to
change places with God, until I read the Cloudbursting web pages. Well,
all I can say is I wish she did mean that, or at least mean to leave it
ambiguous! Though I feel I can leave the lyrics of this song well alone,
still it does a wonderful job of opening up the mood of the great Hounds
of Love album. Clouds, water, rain, and thunderstorm---it's all there in
the first song.

There are more that rank as high, but these five came to mind first...

Andi