Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Barf the Music

From: nbuchwa1@ix.netcom.com (Norman Buchwald)
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 07:16:09 GMT
Subject: Re: Barf the Music
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

stev0@zuni.chaco.com (Steve Berlin) wrote:

>So we have the annual "What are your favorite KateSongs" thread,
>eh?  So I guess that means it's time to trot out that old thread,
>"What are your LEAST favorite KateSongs".  Since there's really
>nothing new, these are more or less the same as last year.

Well, it'll be interesting how both compare to that ancient
full-length poll, results of a few parts that I never posted.  :P  I'm
tempted to just bring back the Kate concert question or the ask Kate
one question (the winner for one question was "Will you marry me?" by
the way.  :)   )  But for least like songs, (top five) I'll vote for
this (and I've heard new stuff since last December, so . . . )

1)  Shoedance  (Yuck!  One of the worst mixes I have ever heard.
Absolutely awful.  The only good part is when they have Miranda
Richardson talk.  :P   )

2)  Rubberband Girl  (This song still gets on my nerves today.  I was
dismayed when I bought the import single in September '93 and heard
this.  And then what followed was "Big Stripey Lie" which was better,
but not that, that much.  Fortunately I was more pleased with certain
tracks of "The Red Shoes" album)

3)  Eat The Music (Extended mix)  Kate needs to find a better mixer
the next time she does mixes.  And actually she did have a good one.
Look at the mixes on Hounds of Love tracks.  Much better!

4)  Strange Phenomena-- something about the music and melody of this
song reminds me of blah 70s music, in spite of the lyrics that are
there.  Sorry.

5)  Show A Little Devotion--  Very disappointing B side in my opinion.
Same with "You Want Alchemy" (but the lyrics are actually good in that
song in spite of the fact that Kate's attempt to sound like James
Brown I guess, got on my nerves?)

>1.  Y should I love U?
>OK, first of all you can't blame The Artist Formely Known as
>Whathisname on this piece of MOR crap.  Kate is the one in charge
>of what goes on - or doesn't go on - her albums.  Ask the EMI executives
>who didn't want Wuthering Heights as her first single if you don't believe
>me.  I *STILL* think it sounds like Lionel Ritchie, only worse.

This would be number six, by the way.

>2.  Hounds of Love - Remix
>"Run Run Run Run Run Run Honey" - sounds like a goddamn excercise
>tape.

Hey, I like the alternative version of "Hounds Of Love."  It's fun as
a sequel to the original.  Almost a happier version you might say.

>3. Fullhouse/In the Warm Room - either one of these songs just would be
>considered a lesser Kate work.  But putting them back to back just makes
>me fall asleep. Too bad; I LIKE Kashka from Baghdad, but always
>find myself waking up in the middle of it.

Yeah, these are probably the really weak songs on "Lionheart,"
especially since from what we know of her demos, Kate had some
stronger songs she could've used.

>5.  Jig of Life
>Too bad.  This one could easily make my list of MOST favorite KateSongs.
>But Jay - the Ed Wood of Poetry - has to ruin it.  It's as if someone took
>a dump on the Mona Lisa.

I by far disagree.  In fact, last I looked "Jig Of Life" is number one
on my chart.  You really think the poetry at the end is that bad?
I've worked for two literary magazines and I've read a lot of bad
poetry.  John Carder Bush is a decent poet, maybe not great, and he
should be envious of his sister.  :)  Though I don't like the line
"where 'When' lingers" a bit too pretentiously abstract in my opinion.

The Storm

"Deeper.  Deeper."