Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Om mani padme hum

From: c9204374@student.anu.edu.au (Dan)
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 15:26:30 +1000
Subject: Re: Om mani padme hum
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

IAN RICHARD CHILTON <irc@coventry.ac.uk> wrote:

>Any true Kate fan would know where she uses the lyric 'Om mani padme hum', I
>mean for Christ's sake it's on her first bloody album, so get a bloody copy
>whoever first asked about it!!!

        I first asked about it, and excuse me for not knowing where it was.
I have been listening to Kate for nearly a decade and just because I didn't
know a line it makes me a bad fan. Whatever that is. A fan is a fan and any
fan is a good fan (unless they ask a stupid question according to you).

>Firstly does anybody expect Kate to be stupid enough to use lyrics that she
>doesn't understand the meaning to: everything in Kate's verse has a meaning,
>and if yo don't know that, then you don't know the music.

        Well, I do know what Om mani Padme hum means and it just so happens
that it's meaning is out of place in the chorus. Without going into boring
detail, the mantra means basically finding peace and harmony in emptiness.
JB had the middle part right; the start and finish meaning emptiness. It is
actually denying that anything exists at all and liberation can be found by
realising this. I don't see how this fits in with "the hand a-moulding us",
do you?

       No you don't always have to understand her music to enjoy it because
the sound is brilliant in itself, but just ask the person who wrote in
recently - who doesn't speak English as a first language - how they wished
they could understand the lyrics better.

Dan