Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Om mani padme hum.

From: kelton@kelton.seanet.com (Alana L. Kelton)
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 00:24:56 -0800
Subject: Re: Om mani padme hum.
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

> >  Also the picture for
> > ninth wave is based upon a famous painting of Ophelia, but I don't know who
> > painted it (I'll find out)

no need. i¹ve got the reference material nearby. in the ³pale ladies of
death² section of my ³pre-raphaelite women² art book, i find the ³Ophelia²
painted by John Everett Millais in 1852. there are others, but this has
the trademark floating hair and foliage. no life vest though, which is an
element no doubt inspired by the satire painting of which stuart speaks:

> Not exactly. Here's probably what you were thinking of.
>
> "When I met you in your dance studio in london, I saw a painting against
> the wall that we were laughing about. It was a satire of that
> pre-raphaelite painting of ophelia drowned in the reeds, this one was in a
> polluted river. Now on the inside cover sheave of the hounds of love
> there's a picture of you in the water, like ophelia. Is that a deliberate
> connection?"
>
> "Not a conscious connection, no, but I'm sure that that imagery is there
> very strongly. Ophelia is one of those beautiful paintings, its
> extraordinary. And I think my attraction to Ophelia in the first place is
> what made me get that painting. So it's probably still quite
> subconsciously strong there in me." (1985, Late November, The New Music)

and i agree with stu ... you need to chill. - alana