Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Monologue from Hello Earth

From: Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 19:39:06 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Monologue from Hello Earth
To: Sharon Nelson <shenelsw@uwcsms1.uwc.edu>
cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On Wed, 8 May 1996, Sharon Nelson wrote:

> Every time I listen to Tori, she makes me sick with her pathetic
> replications of Kate's music.  I wish she would at least give Kate credit
> for "influencing" her music, rather than never admitting that she is even
> aware of her existence!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree fully. The covers of "Little Earthquakes" and the US (?) version
of TKI are 'evidence' of a sort that she has at least heard Kate's music.
I mean, it must have inspired her in some way - would you 'adapt' a cover
of somebody's album simply because you'd seen it once or twice and
thought it looked good. (Notice that's a rhetorical 'question') No, there
has to be more to it than that. Also, I feel that Tori's music is very
much like the "Cathy Demos", and TKI and Lionheart. It seems that Tori is
even changing her style to sound more aggressive - take a listen to NfE
and TD, and then listen to the differences between "Under the Pink" and
"Boys for Pele" - to me, at least, there seems to be a much more angry
sound to BfP, and some of the tracks from NfE and TD have this too (e.g.
"Breathing", "Get Out Of My House"). I hope that all makes sense.
Although I like Tori (up to UtP, and some of BfP, especially "Marianne"),
she does seem to lack imagination at times - it seems the press give the
impression of her being 'deep', and she plays on that. Anyone else got
any thoughts on this?

Alan.