Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

now at 9 times the speed of sound <beep>

From: Bryan Dongray <btd@cray.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 23:50:45 -0500
Subject: now at 9 times the speed of sound <beep>
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hello Wieland,

You wrote:
> 1. voice: "Well, we're now at nine times the speed of sound."
> 2. voice: "Roger that, Dan, I've got a solid TACAN * locked on, uh,
>            TACAN two and three."
> 3. voice: "The, uh, tracking data, map data and pre-planned
>            trajectory are all one line on the block"
> 4. voice: "Show your block decode..."
>
> Some normally very reliable love-hounds pretend to hear
> "Columbia now at ..." for the first voice.
>
> This IS WRONG!!! (IMHO)
> It's what I've written above! (IMHO)
> Jump back with |<< to the beginning several times and you can hear it very
> clearly (I hope).
> To make sure: I hear this on the UK-CD! :-)

I have the UK CD, and sorry, but the more I listen the more I hear
	Columbia
instead of "Travelling" (what I used to think it was).
Although it's more:
	Clumbia
ie the 'o' is non existant.

I guess what I'm saying is I hear a hard sound at the start, I feel
the word "Well" has a soft starting sound, so it just cannot be that!

I just played my USA vinyl, and I can only hear "travelling",
but the quality is *so* bad compared to the CD, I guess I must
have played the LP a few (understatement of the year) times.

			Bryan Dongray

PS NO SHOUTING IN THIS GROUP PLEASE.

PPS Drop the "*" from line 2.

Maybe I should have said this whole message as:
	A particular normally very reliable love-hound pretends to hear
	"Well, we're now at..." for the first voice.

	This IS WRONG (in more than just my opinion)
	... etc
but I don't think this is a valid method of having a conversation to
discover what is really there. We all have our opinions, but to claim
others are "plain wrong" like that could be offensive. Especially when I
felt it was aimed at me. But hey, I'm fairly laid back, so I think this
is the worst of a flame response you'll get from me. It's even just in
a PS, to try and tone it down.