Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Eyebrows [Re: Scary films (only marginally Kate-related)]

From: Steve ZPJ <zpj@huskbeat.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 20:30:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Eyebrows [Re: Scary films (only marginally Kate-related)]
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On 26 Apr 1996 07:52:59 -0700, in rec.music.gaffa, violet@slip.net
wrote:

>Steve ZPJ wrote:
>>This way of detecting a werewolf originated in Denmark and then spread
>>throughout the other countries.
>
>Yes, that superstition has been around for centuries.  I remember when a
>friend of mine started dating a fellow in 1981 and then decided to marry
>him, I told her to watch out because his eyebrows met, and that meant he
>was a werewolf. ;)  Turns out he's not SO very bad, but she hasn't been
>exactly happy with him.  I don't, however, think that he's been eating
>small children or anything.  Another way to tell if someone's a werewolf is
>if they have hair on the palms of their hands.

My eyebrows have always met in the middle and I'm sick of being
accused of being a werewolf. I'm a vegetarian. Although that would
explain all the bloody footprints leading to my house after a full
moon. :-)
No hair on the palms of my hands, yet. And I'm not looking before
anyone tries that old 'sign of madness' joke.
>>BTW, Paperhouse and Company of Wolves are my favourite films,
>
>What excellent taste you have! :)  I strongly supsect that, cult film or
>no, Paperhouse has probably still been seen in Britain far more than it has
>here in America, if only because it's a British film to begin with.  If I
>could, I would make sure every person in every land got to see this movie.
>It's not always easy to find here, mostly because it isn't very well known.
>This is a crime.

It's not very well known over here either. I've not actually managed
to get a copy on tape. I'll have to try harder. It's been ages since
I've seen it.
I've got Company of Wolves though and it still amazes me.
>Just as a little aside to this, when my mother and I watched Paperhouse
>together, even though she and I are both pretty heavy anglophiles (knowing
>in our souls that we were born on this continent by mistake), we were
>baffled by what "snogging" meant.  Fortunately, I have a wonderful British
>English/American English dictionary, and the question was quickly solved.
>What a funny word! Since, I've heard it in tons of other shows (AbFab most
>recently).   But I suppose "necking" is sort of funny, too, isn't it?  Yes,
>well.

I must admit I used to be puzzled by the term 'necking' for a little
while. You hear it in so many films that I soon realised exactly what
it was. The main problem which caused the confusion was probably the
fact that there are a lot of cult vampire films, so when I heard it in
them I got a tad confused.
I thought that there was an American version of AbFab, or do you
actually get both (I heard the same about Red Dwarf). We get a dismal
English version of Married With Children which isn't a patch on the
original.
>Violet
>xoxox

>   *      "Lead me not into temptation, I will find it myself."      *

__
Steve ZPJ
zpj@huskbeat.demon.co.uk
ca5sha@isis.sund.ac.uk

-- Anyone who can stay sane in this world must be mad --