Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Who the hell is this Delius?

From: nudeadguy@aol.com (NudeAdGuy)
Date: 25 Apr 1996 20:38:47 -0400
Subject: Re: Who the hell is this Delius?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

CHOTIN Fabrice (j46061a@nucc.cc.nagoya-u.ac.jp) wrote:
>: Hello!
>: Sorry if this question has already been asked on Love-hounds but I am
>quite
>: new here... I would like to know who is the Delius of the Delius-song
of
>: summer... I just hope it is not an obscure pagan/wiccan allusion ;-)
>: Thanks.
>
>Not at all. He is a classical composer who lived and worked during the
>first half of this century. Details of his life and music should be
>available in any modern reference work on classical music. Great stuff,
>incidentally.

>C'est rien, biensur

>-JB

Some more info: His name was Frederick Delius. His long time protege, Eric
Fenby, wrote extensively about his mentor, and is the person to whom
"Delius" in the song says, "In B, Fenby."

Kate appeared with Fenby on a TV show (Russell Harty) and performed the
song--Fenby appeared amused, and said Delius would have appreciated it.

What I've heard of Frederick Delius is quite good--very emotional and
melodic. I believe his Second Symphony (don't quote me on this) is a good
place to start. I heard it on classical radio and was very impressed.