Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate and "Witches"...

From: jb593@bard.edu (Jamie Blackman)
Date: 25 Apr 1996 15:56:13 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate and "Witches"...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Rick Creighton (rcreighton@smtpinet.aspensys.com) wrote:
: Jamie Blackman,

: You invited flames, dear brother, so here comes the first in what I am sure will
: be a torrential series of fireballs... <grin>

Nope, none but you, oh vigourous (if somewhat over-self-impressed)
defender of truth! I am, incidentally, lucky to be able to announce that
my genetic good fortune obviates any chance of me being your brother. For
this, I thank my creator, whomever she may be.

: In your response to Chris Williams you said:

:     >As a matter of historical fact, not anyone's opinion, those burned as
:     >"witches" at Salem in 1692, three of whom were my several-times-great-
:     >grandmother and her two sisters, were nothing of the kind.

: If, dear fellow, you were a SERIOUS student of the history of religious (and
: sexual) prosecution, you would know that there was NEVER a single person put to
: death by burning for the "crime" of witchcraft in Salem, or any other place in
: the USA. They were all "hanged by the neck until dead".

I am a serious student of not only the things you mentioned, but also of
comparative religion. I am well aware of the fact that they were hanged,
and I only said "burned" because I had just seen it in the post by Chris
Williams, which I realised to my shock and horror in the millisecond
immediately after I pressed the "p" button, oh perfect one. I am
merely human, and somewhat absent-minded, especially when tired.
Incidentally, I believe you meant to use the word "persecution," as any
SERIOUS student of said matters would know that (Salem being an exception)
while all of those killed for alleged "witchcraft," were persecuted, many
were not prosecuted inthe conventional sense, i.e. with a jury or
tribunal, judge, defense and prosecution, etc. Prosecution connotes a fair
trial with all of these elements, which most of these (men and) women
never received. And I must hasten to add that I am not now, have never
been, and am highly unlikely ever to be, your dear fellow. Your
arrogance, and my heterosexuality, have assured that.

: Burning was a European phenomenon (probably a remnant of ancient Celtic
: sacrificial traditions),

About which I probably know more than do you.

: Just thought you'd like to know how your relatives REALLY met their untimely
: (and undoubtedly, unjustified) demise...

This is another subject about which I most likely know more than you do.

: It is really irrelevant (and frankly, impossible) to discuss KaTe's religious
: beliefs. But I think we can all agree on one theological premise: KaTe herself
: in most certainly divine...

Then we can agree upon at least two things.

Salaama,

-JB