Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Burblings (was re: Kate being a witch)

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 96 04:46:07 GMT
Subject: Re: Burblings (was re: Kate being a witch)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

WARNING! Delete before reading!

ninthwaver@aol.com (Ten Hours Free!) wrote:
>I know history. I am a direct Pilgrim descendant. My family has been in
>this country for four hundred years.

   Well, *I'm* impressed! Four hundred, eh? If you knew history, you'd be
aware that Jamestown existed for quite some time before that small-minded
gaggle arrived.

   What, pray tell, does this have topic at hand? I wasn't talking about
your ancestors knowledge, I was inpuning *your* knowledge.

   I stating, quite plainly, that you seem to have a distorted view of
history. Pedigree has no bearing on learning.

> Your prejudice against anything religious is more than intolerant, it > is
philosophically unjust.

   You just can't seem to get the hang of this. You can't just assert
something like that as a single statement without any sort of basis.

   A person asks a question. I provide an answer and some commentary.
This spurs further discussion, a discussion that seems perfectly able
to continue own it's own completely without any further input from me.

   What tautological sinkhole do you pull this accusation from?

   "Officer! Arrest that man! He's being philosophically unjust!"

   Disagreement equals censorship?!? On what planet?

>By "censorship" I meant as in a wider scope, not specifically certain
>posts, etc.

   "When I use a word" the caterpiller said, "it means precisely what I
intend it to mean, neither more nor less."

> The IDEA of censorship in any way or shape or form -especially in
> this medium - is abhorrent.

   Well, at least your education wasn't a complete waste. Yes,
censorship is bad.

>You mean to censor ideas that don't suit YOUR world view. You do
>this by attacking (flaming) anyone who shows an interest in spiritual
>devotion , whether Christian or "pagan."

   I do no such thing. I have clearly, not to say forcefully, stated my
own views. Some disagree, some agreed. Some have had to think
about what they believe, and defend it. I may be going out on a limb
here, but IMO that is *never* a bad thing. To possess a belief system
so frail that it cannot withstand any disagreement...I find it hard to
believe that anyone could take pride in that.

   Again, I ask (without much hope) that you will take a moment to
actually quote me. If you think this exchange is a "flame war" you
need to read some other newsgroups.

>Get a grip. Get some oxygen. Get a life.

   Ok, let's see...."get a life"...if I'm not mistaken his next message
will involve some invocation of the name "Hitler" or the word "Nazi".
Then, according to Godwin's rule this entire discussion will be officially
closed.

     Vickie has asked me to drop this. However much fun I might be having
trying to improve this bozo's debating technique (am I alone in noticing
a marked improvment?), I must bow to the greater good of gaffa.

   P.S. Get an off-line AOL mail program. Whale works well. It might
allow you to write something and re-read it...maybe even let a friend
read it...before posting. I have some small hope that Mr. "Ten Hours
Free" may eventually have something to contribute.