Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

DVD on the way . . .

From: kln@a.crl.com
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 17:26:22 -0700
Subject: DVD on the way . . .
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi there compadres,

Today's "John Naisbett Trend Letter" sez: Digital Versatile Disks Coming Soon

"After waiting for years, consumers will be able to buy the next generation of
compact disks later this year.  But the new disks won't be called CDs.  After
wrestling with competing technical formats, the industry has agreed on one
format and one name: digital versatile disk (DVD)

"This name was chosen over the original designation -- digital video disk --
because the new disks can contain music and computer programs as well as video.
 computer disks will likely be called DVD-ROMs.

"DVDs look the same as today's CDs, but hole up to 9.6 gigabytes (YIKES! sez
Karen) of information, about 14 times as much as a CD.  While DVDs will require
new hardware, today's CDs will work in DVD players."

I guess this means we can look forward to a whole new set of Kate re-issues,
with the songs, lyrics, videos, and other info all on one disk. Wouldn't that be
fun?  Let's hope they take some CARE in preparing such packages, instead of
slapping them togther in a rush.  I'm still slightly peeved about the TRS CD
singles with those cheesy "photos", typos such as "This Women's Work", etc.

If I stumble on more about this I'll pass it along.  Later, Karen  kln@a.crl.com