Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dorothy Scott

From: MATH TRIED ERR <METH@delphi.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 23:05:50 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Dorothy Scott
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi!

Mark Susskind wrote:

>The last performer I saw for the evening was Dorothy Scott.  Although she
>didn't cover any Kate songs, she has a quirky voice that may appeal to
>Kate fans.  However, there may be a thin line to cross, perhaps because of
>her voice, or the content of her lyrics, or all the guitar play, so it may
>not be entirely tolerable, even to you Kate fans who are willing to try
>her with an open mind.

Perhaps the best reference point with which to describe Dorothy Scott would
be Mary Margaret O'Hara (which is, admittedly, not a particularly helpful
one considering that few people know who MMOH is :}).  If O'Hara weren't
still alive and well and producing no new music in Canada, one could safely
say that Dorothy Scott were O'Hara renicarnated.  She is quirky, yes (if not
downright weird), but her music is rich and full and beautiful, and contains
several Katelike elements in that regard.

Basically, if you've been waiting for Mary Margaret O'Hara to finally put out
a follow-up to _Miss America_, Dorothy Scott is the one to turn to in the
meantime.

She has one self-produced EP, called _Into The Natural_, which contains
six stunning songs.  I don't have ordering information here, though I could
get it if people are interested -- e-mail me.  And she is really, really
good live, so if you live in the New York metro area, keep an eye out for
her name in the listings and check her out.  (She tends to play Fez and
the Mercury Lounge a lot.)

So Mark, did you like her?  It was hard to tell from your post. :)

|Meredith Tarr                                               meth@delphi.com|
|Boonton, NJ  USA                        http://remus.rutgers.edu/~woj/meth/|
|"I used to be hard as candy, but I've been sucked on too long" - The Nields|