Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate being a witch

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 96 05:22:53 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate being a witch
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

SamiT007@aol.com (Samantha) will probably regret saying:
>Chris,
>
>>So, unless someone can offer actual proof, some single fucking statement,
>>one solitary phrase where Kate describes herself as a "witch" or "wiccan"
>>or "pagan" can we *please* let this particular idiotic rumor die? Please?
>
>Thanks for responding, oh Great One.  What a blessing that you were willing
>to look down upon this humble peon and grant me the privilege of bestowing
>upon me a fraction of your vast insight into Kate's religious awareness.

   Uh...my posting was about the *facts* about Kate's stated religious
beliefs. You are perfectly welcome to check them. They are available
in the archives.

   Check this collection of Kate quotes about religion:

http://scott.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~rjc/hyper_cloud/subjects/religion.html

> However, despite your "benevolence" you are a JERK (or are you just having a
>bad day?)

   No, I'm a JERK. Always have been when the idiotic subject of religion
comes up, that vast stone weighing us down, that stinking albatross
hung from the neck of mankind. Against *that* I'm quite happy to be called
a JERK.

> I wasn't trying to spread an idiotic rumor, I simply wanted some
>clarification on the matter because I myself had heard this rumor
>and was skeptical of it.

   I'm glad to hear that. But it's one of those that has been floating
around for *so* long, that it is a very sore point. Asking about
rumors perpetuates them, and breathes life into them. They only
have continued existance when people keep them alive.

 See the FAQ for alt.folklore.urban for a perspective at:
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/folklore-faq/top.html

>I haven't been reading these postings for as long as you
>and I wasn't aware there was a *last* time this was brought up.
>Excuse the hell out of me for bringing up again what is obviously
>a sore subject with you. I was simply curious about something I had
>heard.  Pardon my fucking ignorance.

   If you had heard that Kate was deeply involved in sado-maschoism,
and that the delays between albums were due to being a personal
slave to HRH Prince Charles...would you ask here if it were true?

   No, of *course* you wouldn't bother to, as it's a dumb question. The
question "is it true she's a witch" is just as dumb, but *far* more
persistant. It *KEEPS* coming up, but has no more basis in reality
than the rumor I just made up. Inane rumors repeated often have this
way of annoying otherwise nice people to distraction. (Remember
last week when you were thanking me? Same person.)

   Look, if you were to post about a little boy named Craig Shergold
needing postcards, you would get *far* more strongly worded responses
than my mild rebuke. You might believe that you were doing a good
thing urging everyone to help him realize his dream. You would be
surprised at the number of people who would advice you to crawl
in a hole and die, or worse.

>>P.S. Samantha, I'm not picking on you, please understand. But this
>>rumor is spread by non-fans and casual fans. It may be simple ego,
>>but if Kate *was* a practicing witch, by this time, we would know.
>
>Your language and your attitude sure indicate that you are, in fact, picking
>on me (my language and my attitude indicate that you succeeded in pissing me
>off.)  I am no casual fan, although I'm *positive* I haven't reached the
>level of devotion you are at.  Or did you simply place yourself on that
>pedestal?

   What pedestal? I stay here answering questions from a love of Kate's
music. This one time I give you an answer you don't like. I enjoy sharing
knowledge about my favorite subject. Yes, a lot of people consider me
an expert. There are several more knowledgable people...IED, Peter
Fitzgerald-Morris and |>oug /\lan (at his peak), and a large number
of equally knowledgable people like Uli, Weiland and others.

   But many of the knowledgable people don't bother to respond to posts
anymore. In many cases it's due to complications in their lives, but
in some cases I suspect that they have just become worn out by
answering the same questions over and over again.

   If you cannot see that I was flaming the *question* rather than the
questioner...well, that's your problem.

   If Love-Hounds had no "experts" willing to answer questions it would
be just like, gosh, I dunno...the AOL music forums? The ones were the
discussion is on the "Nirvana SUCKS! NO! You SUCK!!! I don't SUCK,
YOU SUCK!" level.

>>P.P.S. To any other "witches" out there, bite me, ok?
>
>Any *other* witches?  If you are insinuating that by asking this question, I
>myself am a "witch", you have assumed WAY too much in exactly the wrong
>direction and you need to pull your head out of your ass.  Is it real dark
>and warm up there?  Does it smell good, too?

   "Other" in this case was directed at the inevitable "witches"
popping up to defend the inane proposition. I did *not* intend
to accuse *you* of being a "witch", and very humbly apologize.

   Note that, true to form, they have popped up (usually a first
post.) Can you forgive me for anticipating the inevitable? Of
*course* they (again true to form) offer no proof just as I said.

>No, *YOU* bite ME.
>~~~Samantha

   See above.

>P.S. You misspelled "dilettante"--there is one "l", not two, and two "t"'s,
>not one. :-P

   Yes, I'm a crappy speller. And I'm writing on a borrowed computer with
a newsreader without a spell-checker. But a bit of advice...if you are
reduced to attacking the form rather than the content...

>P.P.S.     As to your response to another of my incessant questions:
>>The "Dreaming Effect" depends on a clear *stereo* signal, and will have no
>>effect at all on a mono signal. I don't want to "dis" your stereo, but...
>
>Why not "dis" my stereo?  You seem to have no problem "dissin" ME, you
>alligator-cum-sucking-mung-fucking-candy-ass-ninny.

   Dear...dear...dear... I was *not* dissing you, and tried to avoid dissing
your stereo. Please re-read the post, OK?

   Do you really want to piss me off? I may be an asshole, but I am a
very valuable resource. I could bore you with my "Kate Resume", but
suffice to say that I have done things for Love-Hounds far beyond the
call of duty, and despite the possibility of being flamed by the clueless
will continue to do so in the future. You will have questions, and I will
continue to supply answers.

   You had the misfortune of asking a stupid question, one that I wish
Uli would *please* add to the FAQ.

   Question: I heard Kate was a witch/wiccan/pagan/slave of Prince
                  Charles. Is it true?

   Answer: Of course not. She has never said so, and reacted in an
                incredulous manner when directly asked.

  I suggest that you consider apologizing for that last remark and
consider just getting used to me. I'm staying.

P.S. You will like the upcoming Love-Hounds Collection.