Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Dreaming Plug

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 96 03:38:23 GMT
Subject: Re: Dreaming Plug
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

>Hi. I've been trying to figure out this "Dreaming Plug" for a while now, and
>I thought this explanation was so simple I could be sure to get it to work;
> however, after messing around behind my stereo and speakers for half an
>hour, I gave it up.  Is there a reason, not mentioned, why this wouldn't work
>on my stereo?  I can't get this too work for the life of me.  I get the
>impression that Kate's lead vocals will not be heard or will be more subdued
>if the Dreaming Plug is done correctly--am I correct in this assumption?

   How much of the lead vocal is removed depends on the production of the
song. Most lead vocals are directly in the center, and are equally in both
channels. When this happens it's "L+R" and gets pulled out when the
speakers are wired like this. This effect is less noticable the more echo,
reverb, phasing and multi-tracking applied to the lead vocal. The effect
will vary widely.

  One of the best Kate songs for this is _Rocket's Tale_. The lead vocal
is very clean and drops right out.

> When I followed these directions, the sound from my speakers was overall
>muted.  I played a CD in my stereo which I had hooked up like the above
>directions say, and then I played the same CD on another stereo which was
>hooked up normally.  Other than a definite better resolution in the Other
>stereo, there wasn't a bit of difference.  Can someone explain in simple
>terms (for a completely non-technical person) what I may be doing wrong or
>how I can try it a different way or what I can do better?  Much thanks...

   It's possible that you only reversed the phase of one of the speakers. At
some point I'll make a web page about the "Dreaming Effect". It's effect
varies, and might have been oversold. It *won't* turn _The Dreaming_ into
_Dreamtime_, but it *is* a very useful KateBushological tool.