Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Today IED is 10 YEARS on this list!!!!

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 10:33:37 -0100
Subject: Today IED is 10 YEARS on this list!!!!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello IED!
I just want to say "Thank you!" for all your great words. I enjoyed
reading every bit of it. Keep on going!

And this was your very first message:

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 86 19:06 PST
From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Interview revisited

Hi, Kate fans. A. Marvick responding to unexpectedly voluminous verbiage
from  parts East and elsewhere. Knowing nothing about inter-computer
communication as  yet, I may frequently commit gaffes of user etiquette.
Please bear with me.  Concerning Douglas Allen's interview (New York,
11/20/85) with Kate Bush, I was  very happy to find that among the
questions he posed were two which I consider to  be of incalculable
importance, to wit:

1) What did the new "backward track" (from "Watching You Without Me")
entail  in the way of technical difficulties?; and 2) What does she feed
her cats?  Unfortunately for Mr. Allen, suitable follow-up time either was
not available, or was  cleverly and deliberately evaded by Kate herself. No
doubt the inadequacy of Kate's  replies to these two equally crucial
questions was intentional.

In the first case, the excerpt from "Watching Me Without You" was
designed, I  think it is clear, with the primary aim of intriguing the
serious (and at least mildly  obsessive) listener, and of encouraging him
or her to spend untold periods of time  puzzling over both its precise
sonic make-up and its root meaning, which latter I am  convinced is of
considerable depth. The solution of this passage is more important  than I
can say, and I am certain all readers are in total agreement on this point.
It is  therefore not excessive optimism on my part to expect that all
readers will  henceforth make it a habit to study this passage with a
critical and analytical ear at  least once each day until such time as an
unassailable solution has been reached,  shared with the international Kate
Bushological community, and, after suitable  discussion among students of
the subject, ratified by the majority and approved -- if  possible, through
official channels -- by Kate herself. In future days, should interest
prove sufficient, further details and theories in connection with the new
"backwards" passage will emanate from this source.

In the second case, Kate's charming but too-brief reply indicates, I
submit, a  reluctance to consider, at least within the context of an
interview for fans, the  ultimate implications of her commitment to strict
vegetarianism, and the attendant  ethical dilemma which arises in the face
of her equal devotion to the rights and  dignity of all animals -- the
instinctual carnivorous bent of the domestic cat being,  arguably, one of
that noble and elegant animal's rights by nature. My sincere thanks  to
everyone for their patience and consideration. Responses, obviously, are
encouraged. Until they are received, may we all continue in our venture
INTO THE  GARDEN...