Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: In the trees

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 96 08:28:54 GMT
Subject: Re: In the trees
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

>Chris wrote:
>>As noted above, the working title was "Casting The Runes".
>
>That was the working title because that's the name of the original work by
>James.

   Ah, ok.

>And also the way the papers escape from Miranda and she chases them.  This
>was how the demon was summoned in the film:  A scroll (just a small slip of
>paper, really) with the runic spell on it had to be secretly slipped to a
>victim without their knowledge, and then the scroll would be carried off by
>the wind at a certain time (midnight?) and the demon would come for them.
>If whoever possessed the scroll were to discover it and have it in their
>possession when the time came, the spell was cancelled.  In the end, the
>bad fellow frantically tries to catch the scroll that Dana Andrews'
>character secretly passed back to him and destroy it.  This is just the way
>Miranda looks when chasing the symbols.

   Cool. This is on my list of films to see again, along with _The Red Shoes_.

>This film REALLY scares me, by the way.  And I'm a horror fanatic.
>Although the demon does look a little "rubbery" and silly at times.  But it
>still scares me.

   I spent a long time editing "The Innocents" into "The Infant Kiss",
watching the film back and forth...and it *still* disturbs me.

  A couple of Kate's other favorite frightening films:

   The Haunting (the door bulging in was a major image for _Get Out Of My
       House_).

   Don't Look Now (more disturbing than frightening, but *quite* disturbing).