Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

You're The One (was Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #112)

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 96 00:33:18 GMT
Subject: You're The One (was Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #112)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

>>Has anyone else noticed the snort on You're the One?  Listen for it
>>at the end of the song (no Dreaming Plug required):
>>
>>       We tied ourselves in knots
>>       Doing cartwheels 'cross the floor<snort>
>>
>>This is very odd!  The only thing that makes sense to me is that she
>>intended a crying/sniffling type of sound, since it's hard to believe
>>she would leave in an unintentional snort like that.
>
>I wouldn't call it a "snort" at all!  A snort is caused by inhaling air, this
>is a definite exhale.   I think it sounds like she's just really into the
>song, caught up in the emotion, and that's just how her voice reacted to the
>emotion.  I don't think it was intentional.  I think it's just one of her
>wonderfully unique completely unintentional expressions.  No, Kate does not
>snort unless it's on purpose and in that case, I believe we'd all know it was
>meant to be.

   The line is a referance to Procol Harum's _Whiter Shade of Pale_. Here's
the first verse:

                We skipped the light fandango
                And turned cartwheels cross the floor.
                I was feeling kind of seasick
                But the crowd called out for more.
                The room was humming harder
                And the ceiling flew away
                When we called out for another drink
                The waiter brought a tray
                And so it was that later
                As the miller told his tale
                That her face at first just ghostly
                Turned a whiter shade of pale.

 ...and a URL to get it is:

http://archive.uwp.edu/cgi-bin/lyr.songs?p/procol.harum/whiter_shade_of_pale

   _Whiter Shade of Pale_ is a contender of the title "Most Nit-Picked Song of
All Time" (along with Don MacLean's "American Pie" and various Beatle tunes).

   The quoting is *very* deliberate. This is renforced by Procol Harem's
Gary Brooker playing Hammond organ on this track. Kate has probably
loved this track for years, and brought the line in for it's meaning to
herself.

   As for the noise, it just sounds like a gutteral noise produced in the
heat of the moment. She might have edited it out, but decided that
it worked in the context.

--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago