Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

We LOVE "The Sensual World" too!!!

From: MYKEC@delphi.com
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 1996 18:56:46 -0500 (EST)
Subject: We LOVE "The Sensual World" too!!!
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Kyle <mplskyle@aol.com>:

> am i the only one who LOVES TSW?????  HOL & The Dreaming are
  absolutly wonderful records, but TSW - man that record just stops me
  dead in my tracks everytime i hear it.....

I knew of Kate's music as far back as 1985, but I never heard any of it
until one day in 1990 when I borrowed a homemade compilation cassette
from one of my coworkers.  In the middle of the tape was this
absolutely beautiful song that nearly hypnotized me on the job!  I
later asked about it and learned that it was "This Woman's Work".  That
evening I went to a local record shop to find it and bought "TSW" - my
first KaTe CD!  I couldn't wait to find out what the rest of the CD
sounded like, but upon hearing it, I hated it!  If it hadn't been for
the beauty of "This Woman's Work", I'd have promptly returned the thing
and might never have cared to listen to her again.  However, over the
course of the next year, I forced myself to endure the entire CD a few
times.  Eventually, the album did manage to work its magic into my
heart although it took a long time!  It wasn't until 1993 that I
obtained a copy of "The Whole Story" and got to hear the best of what
she'd done previously.  Finally, last year, I could no longer bear to
go on living without knowing what the rest of her albums were like.
Within the course of a month, I purchased her 6 remaining disks.

My wife and I both like KaTe's music although my wife is much less
tolerant of KaTe's most experimental recordings than I am.  (I've been
dabbling in experimental sound-art recordings of my own for more than a
decade so, naturally, I would enjoy them more!) We both agree, however,
that "TSW" is KaTe's most accomplished work to date.  It's the only
KaTe CD we own which we both equally appreciate greatly.  So, to answer
your question, no you are certainly not the only one who LOVES "TSW"!
If only the cover for the "Aspects..." CD could have been used for the
cover of "TSW" instead!  (My only gripe about it.)

Myke Carter
mykec@delphi.com

"Just put your feet down child.
 'Coz you're all grown-up now."