Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Phoenix broadcast!

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 09:52:01 +-200
Subject: The Phoenix broadcast!
To: "'LH'" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

(This is the first time I use Microsoft Exchange (gulp!), hope, it works! Be kind... Oh and yes,  in your world it was an April fool... I'm living in another world...)

What follows  is everything, DJ Johnny D. has to say during the Phoenix broadcast of
the Kate Bush Demos.

2-3 o'clock in the morning of some Thursday in 1987:

Johnny D.:
"... It was the first tape Kate Bush recorded, in fact, it was before she
was even signed to a record label. She just sat down at the piano and Dave
Gilmour had a tape machine and they just rolled the tape and Kate
recorded about 24 songs, some have got partial(?) titles and most of them
appeared on later albums and more fully produced.
So, this is basically Kate at the piano, there are some pauses in between,
that is in between songs, and (we're just gonna roll)(?) the whole thing as
is. And it was recorded on the 31st of November in 1976 in England.
So, I hope, you'll enjoy this..."
[I think, you know that there is no 31st of November. Also, this cannot be
the FIRST tape KaTe ever recorded.]

************
the 22 songs (in succession as we all know them)
************

After hearing Tom's recording of this radio show, I can tell you that the
ORIGINAL must be of almost PERFECT recording quality! Tom's tape is not
that good, because (as he said previously), he was too far away from the
station. For this reason there's a strong noise floor on the whole thing.
But it's the same when the DJ talks and when the music is on. There's
almost NO NOISE on the original and there's nothing over-modulated etc. It
must be some semi-professional recording. You can hear her walking and
there are some longer delays between the songs (but unfortunately nothing
thrilling happens here). The echoes on "While Davy Dozed" are on the
original. This might indicate that not everything is recorded at the same
time at the same place (?).  After the music, Johnny D. reads the titles
from the tape-box (at least I think so). There is one typo, because he
reads "Kashka from Baldad". The titles are the same as we know already,
with the following exceptions:

1. The Kick Inside (Brother) [subtitle!]
17. The Disbelieving Angel [The!]
21. The Rare Flower [The!]

And at the end he said: "I've got another tape, too, I think with TMWTCIHE
and some other things..."

Oh well...

Best wishes
    Wieland