Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate and Tori similarities

From: Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 96 13:48:30 +0100
Subject: Re: Kate and Tori similarities
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi,

mcullen@indigo.ie (mcullen) wrote:
> As a fan of both Kate and Tori, I have noticed certain Eerie Similarities
> between these two artists.

yes, there are quite a few. You can find even more:
Compare the cover art of "Y Kant Tori Read" and the US "Kate Bush" mini-LP,
on both pictures the singer is holding up a sword.
Or: the English Tori Amos fan club resides in Bexleyheath. Kate Bush was
born at Bexleyheath Maternity Hospital.
Maybe we should add a list to the FAQ? :-)

Just my 2.924 Pf of thought:
While it is fun to look for such similarities, most of these are purely
coincidental. And most of them are concerning only the "surface", like
song titles and cover pictures.

Their songs, esp. the lyrics, are quite different. Tori's songs are very
personal, they deal with her own experiences and feelings (and are hard
to understand for me). Kate's songs contain more story-telling elements
(and more imagery I can understand - that's from my foreign language
point of view).
Musically, both started as piano-based singer/songwriter, but they
have progressed in different directions.
Technically, Kate is the better singer (breathing technique!), while
Tori is the better piano player.

The only time I really thought "Tori sounds like Kate" was when I heard
Kate's home demos for the first time, esp. "Surrender Into The Roses" reminded
me a bit of "Silent All These Years" (music and vocals, not lyrics).

> 10. Finally, they are very nearly the only two female musicians to have
> newsgroups devoted to them.

There are lots of alt.music and rec.music groups devoted to women, but not
everyone would call them all "musicians"...  :-)

bye,
Rolf

--
Here is something real and meaningful -
deep love coming out of a bloody computer!