Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Depression

From: "Chris Hansen @ Work" <chris@kiva.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 18:59:46 -0700
Subject: Re: Depression
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <chris@genie>
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

On 28 Mar 96 at 17:15, Richard Caley <rjc@lillith.de wrote:

> >I came upon KaTe CDs.  The first five KaTe CDs.  Now, this is not that bad.
> >When someone shows up on the sale rack, it is usually 'cause the store can't
> >sell them at their regular price.
>
> I'm not sure that this is true. Some thing (and KaTe is an example) seem
> to turn up in the sale section regularly, which would mean that they're
> not selling them, having to get rid, then buying more which they don't
> sell...
>
> I think maybe there is a selection of albums they know they have a slow
> steady demand for, so they stock them on a regular basis, but for some
> reason sometimes they end up with too many, so they have to dump them.
>
> Maybe demand drops, maybe they just like to get rid of the older copies
> before they become too battered.

Actually, Richard, I thought of this.  I went to the section for KaTe Bush
(which I never go to since they only stock the standards and I hate to be
disappointed) and checked the selection.  Two copies of 'The Whole Story'.
That is it.  No 'Red Shoes', no 'Hounds of Love', no 'Sensual World'.  I'm
really beginning to dislike large retail stores (this from the eternal optimist
who KNOWS Kate will tour again someday...).

On a related note:  I am probably the worst patient when I'm 'under the
weather'.  Rather than stay in bed yesterday when I was home sick from work, I
went stumbling through a local mall, looking for something new to listen to.  I
meandered into Camelot Music (awful selection, awful prices, nice salespeople)
and checked out the discount bin.  I always do that first.  I found a two CD
set called something like 'This Women's Work', which contained four or five
songs on each disc.  One of the covers showed KaTe and Miranda Richardson
(QUEENIE!!) superimposed and the other was the black and white image with her
leaning against a piano or something (same image on the Sony Music WebPage.

Now, I've got all of the US released albums, several of the 12", 8" and CD
singles and a copy of the Cathy Demos (thanks Esther!).  Without doing a disc
by disc comparison, do these discs contain new materials and are they worth
the US $5 price each they were asking?  I know this is not a lot of
information to go on...

Thanks to all for any information you've got - I appreciate it.

Just to make this post a bit longer:  I found at least four and maybe six different
titles for Happy Rhodes and four for Jane Siberry.  Now the problem is that
I've never, to my knowledge, heard either of their music but you all have
spoken rather highly of each.  Any recommendations on a title to start with?
And, just 'cause I'm curious, why?

Thanks to the persons who recommended 'Little Earthquakes'... I really enjoy
the disc as a whole.  Now I've just gotta find the time to listen closely to
the words!

Thanks for your patience and any recommends you might have.

chris
the feeling-much-better-now one

p.s.  Esther - as I re-read this post, I realized that your tapes are probably
still sitting on my desk at home.  I am a cad.  Slime.  Pond scum.  I make no
bones about it.  Sorry.  No promises, since they obviously don't work from me,
but I will try to post them tonight or in the morning.  And my sincere and
whole-hearted apologies for forgetting...  Forgive me someday?  Maybe?

p.p.s  It might help if I sent this to the list, huh?  Sheez, I sure can be an
idiot....