Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Schlocked

From: cbullard@HiWAAY.net (Len Bullard)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 14:37:55 -0600
Subject: RE: Schlocked
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

[Me]

>>Ok, I open up the bidding with two Bangles and a Cyndi Lauper.

[Jonathan]

> Gee, I kinda liked some of the Bangles & Cyndi Lauper, especially
> "Going down to Liverpool" and "Money Changes Everything" respectively.

Well so do I, but we have to start the game somewhere.  We've been
getting kinda serious.  ;-)  True Colors and SheBop are Cyndi faves
(and yes, I liked the movie "Vibes".  ahmma sick puppy).
The Bangles did a nice cover of Simon's Hazy Shade of Winter,
but hey, this is about schlock rock!!

We could be on to something.  A card game based on female
rock stars....  hmm what kind of rules do we need?  How
does someone win or lose?  Maybe a hand with the whole
band wins something.  Maybe a potential supergroup wins
something.  Maybe a bad supergroup loses something.
Any takers?  A Whole Set of GoGos gets a prize.

>Perhaps more than any other female artist, Kate Bush legitimized the use
>of the rather eccentric vocal ranges and phrasing that one can now find
>in the music of artists like Cyndi Lauper.

>len, you were saying?  :)

I say they never heard of M. Purim: she pushed it to the edge
and beyond.  Then there was Betty Boop.  Kate really got
a lot of inspiration from the BoopBabe.  Lotta Lenya (sp?) anyone?
BTW, someone just discovered recordings of her singing
with Kurt Weill accompanying.

31 hits on the KateWorlds yesterday.  Thank you folks for patience
when downloading.

***New contest***.  Pick the definitive rock lyric.  Can only
be one line from the song.  Must say it all.
My premise:  Rock is about attitude: A Bad One.

My choice:

"Get it on! Bang A Gong! Get it on!" - T-Rex

len