Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK.

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 18:15:10 -0500
Subject: MisK.
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Chris Williams writes:
 > This was mentioned by Peter Manchester (Peter? Come
 > home!) several months ago.

IED seconds this plea!

 > The only French-speaking Love-Hound who thinks differently
 > is IED.  He is of the opinion that Kate's pronunciation is
 > perfect and it's the *French* who have it wrong, and need
 > to change.

( : ^ )   Well, IED wouldn't go quite that far; but he does suggest that Kate
Bush's classically British inelegancies of French elocution are charming in
their way, and cannot fairly be called "errors". (IED's own classically
American inelegancies most definitely CAN, on the other hand!)

Violet writes:
 > Didn't she and Del get together around the time of the tour,
 > which was after the first album?  This would have made it
 > possible for Kate to have been dating someone around the
 > time mentioned above.

No.  Kate Bush and Del Palmer met long before then, during early demo
sessions before Kate Bush had even begun rehearsals for The Kick Inside.
 (Del drew the figure of the kite-flyer on the back cover of that first
album, by the way.)
Furthermore, Del has explained that he, at least, fell for Kate on the first
occasion of their musical collaboration, during those early sessions (see the
Musician/Totally Wired interview, 1985, conducted by Peter Swales).

The rumors about Hugh Cornwell have never been confirmed by any supporting
evidence or testimony, and remain only the flimsiest of rumors (see Chris's
last posting about this subject -- to which IED adds that in 1978 Kate
mentioned in one interview that she admired the energy of some of the younger
bands of that time, and mentioned The Boomtown Rats, The Rich Kids and The
Stranglers as examples).

 > She's not a tramp, but she's not the Virgin Mary, either.
 > She's simply a woman, and she's had a past the same as
 > all of us.  It's normal.

As much as Violet and many others would like to have it otherwise, the
notions that Kate Bush is "simply a woman", and that she is in any important
way "the same as all of us" are, frankly, absurd, and self-evidently untrue.
 Her life has been quite unlike any of ours, virtually from birth.  She is,
moreover, God.

There is no clear evidence that she has ever had any romantic involvement
with anyone other than Del Palmer.  Reports to the contrary, which appeared
in smarmy early "biographies" by F. Vermorel and others, are unconfirmed and
highly unreliable, at best.  (John Carder Bush commented in October 1985 that
Vermorel's books were masterpieces of inaccuracy.)  This is not to say, of
course, that none of these rumors is true; only that they are not yet known
to be facts, and that there is ample evidence to support the opinion that she
and Del Palmer have been effectively husband and wife for the last twenty
years or longer.

Karen Newcombe, as host of the post-S.F. concert party discussed earlier,
could, however, tell a different story were she not sworn to silence (the
injunction came
from the office of HRH The Princess of Wales, no less) . . .

 > "Ne T'enfuis Pas," "Ne T'en Fui Pas," or "Ne T'en Fuis Pas,"
 > depending where I look.  Will the real titles please stand
 > up?!!!

The title of "The Infant Kiss" was officially changed in translation to "Un
Baiser d'enfant" (without explanation).  The "official" title of Kate Bush's
other French-language recording has been spelled "Ne T'Enfuis Pas" and "Ne
T'en Fui Pas", depending on the edition.  Neither of these is perfectly
idiomatic.  French titles generally capitalize only the first word, with an
occasional exception:  if that first word is only an article, conjunction or
preposition, then the first verb, adjective, adverb or noun that follows the
first word can be capitalized too.  Hence, the most correct form would be "Ne
T'enfuis pas", although "Ne t'enfuis pas" is also acceptable.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
     S                R            I