Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Bush Complete songbook (no interest to non-musicians)

From: violet@slip.net
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 07:36:17 -0800
Subject: Kate Bush Complete songbook (no interest to non-musicians)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Bryan wrote:
>Well done for doing what you did, I'm not happy with the Complete Kate
>music (which I've yet to find a real copy of), it leaves *much* to the
>imagination, and not much in the way of actually dicating what to play.

Of course, this songbook contains only lead sheets, which are all a
musician is required to turn in for copyright.  When sheet music is written
as such, you are expected to improvise.  I know this is no help for people
unfamiliar with music theory, chord phrasings, and scales, but that's the
way it is.  It's assumed that if you're going to sit down with the music in
front of you, you will know this stuff.  Hey, I don't make the rules.
(Well, I tried a few times, but none ever made the morning paper, so....)
:)

>On your chord issue, if other tunes are to go by, the pseudo dischord of
>an Eb AND an E

Pssst.  In a B chord, there is no Eflat.  It's a Dsharp.  This song is
written in the Key of E.  The scale for this key contains both Dflat and E,
so neither would be out of place in any chord in this key.  A Bflat, which
isn't within the scale, would be more noxious that either of those two
notes (and even that wouldn't necessarily sound bad or be forbidden).
Music is flexible.  Even what was being played (B/Ebass) is a ligitimate
chord (B11) minus the 7th and 9th.

>not produced excellent modern pieces which often break the rules, but
>sound so right. Such as the above B/E which is technically dischordant,
>and would not be "normally" allowed (if I understand some rules I
>have read about writing music "properly" - stupid book).

Again, this isn't dischordant.  If you want to hear dischordant, try this:

Instead of playing *E bass* (left) and *B  Dsharp  E  Fsharp* (right)

Try playing *E bass* (left) and *B  Dsharp  _F_  Fsharp* (right)

My ears, my ears!!!  THIS is dischordant because the note F is not in the E
scale.  And still, even this would have it's place.  Understand?  Yes yes
yes, shut up now, you all say?  Okay. :)

Violet
xoxox

        +       "Jesus is coming... Look busy."         +