Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Formal Musicians

From: cbullard@HiWAAY.net (Len Bullard)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 08:33:55 -0600
Subject: RE: Formal Musicians
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Yes.  The rules are there to guide, not to hamstring.

Someone is always willing to claim superiority based on their
background.  Screw 'em.  We have a rule in our band:  don't
solicit opinions from the audience.   We are the musicians.
That sounds "big headed", but unless one keeps their
confidence up, they become reclusive and that kills
their ability to entertain in a live format.  Don't ever
think everyone will like what you do, and don't ever
believe that matters one fat rat's behind.  Do it because you like it.

Much of the innovation of the Beatles can be
attributed to their producer, George Martin,
who by his formal training, could realize their ideas
brilliantly.  The same can be said for many recordings
in which highly talented session players do the
heavy lifting for the creative composer.  The Beatles
were gifted.  Martin has said as much.  He
was an engine for that; they have said as much.

The power of the electronic system for composing
is not limited to music.  The work I do in 3D
graphics requires the computer because I cannot
draw what I can imagine.  The same is true of
many musical pieces I compose.  Writing a four
part chorale or contrapuntal piece requires both
training, an ear, and a computer that can play
the parts.  Also, the direct feedback of the piece
being played as I toy with each part is vital.
This is how computers augment human intellect.

But training is not BAD.  McCartney's "classical"
piece was a fairly bad piece of work, IMO.  Had
he the training, he would have had the required
years of experience and the patience to do better.
Also remember, his dad was an accomplished
player.  That was one reason he was ahead
of the other Beatles in skill.

Every number has two neighbors.  Imagination
is more important than training, but imagination,
training, and persistence are unbeatable.  Good
musicians train until the day they die, and then
they get a break until they get to the new gig.

len

Alright!  Come on down, you freshly liberated
souls, to The Inferno!  Jimi's wailing for you
on the Brimstone Stage, while Janis sings
you lullabyes to burn by at the Pit!!  Hey, it's
Party Time In Hell!  Tonight's special, Molotov
Cocktails prepared by VI Lenin, that crazy
bearded bolshevik bartender.  I'll be sitting
in on fiddle with the HotClubQuintet!