Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Smurf?

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 96 08:42:43 GMT
Subject: Re: Smurf?
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

>Hello friends,
>
>IED wrote:
>>And Wieland agrees:
>> > It IS Smurf.
>> > Al Murphy was known to her as Smurf.
>>IED doesn't know where these two usually authoritative
>>Kate Bushologists got their information from, but, on
>>the contrary, the lyric sheet clearly has " 'S Murph", the
>>contraction almost certainly referring either to "It's"
>>or to "There's".
>
>I think I was to fast with my statement. Thanks for paying attention!
>The only evidence for "Smurf" I could find were two LH mails deducing this
>from the song, and HG 48 p. 5 where PDFM writes "Smurf". I vaguely remember
>reading it elsewhere too, but can't remember where. I'm not sure
>anymore. Chris, do you have any evidence for "Smurf"? I'm sorry about this
>possibly false information.

   I remember the same HG. It *sounds* like she's saying "Smurf". And the
nickname "smurf" is a far better nickname than the rather pedestrian "Murph".

   Personally, I believe that she said "smurf", but that "Smurf" is a
copyrighted name for evil little blue bastards, and she would have had to
get permission from the creator of said evil little blue bastards. So she
came up with "S'murph" as a way of wiggling out of a nasty copyright
fight. I'd imagine that she was unlikey to wish to get into one of those
after the "Sensual World" James Joyce Estate debacle.

   This is one of those questions that she hasn't been asked, and if
asked, is unlikely to answer. Is there a Level 42 mailing list or
newsgroups where Alan Murphy fans can be asked this?

--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago