Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Mon choux marche avec...

From: hart@corona.math.vt.edu (Heath David)
Date: 17 Mar 1996 16:19:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Mon choux marche avec...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In article <960315180704_246984538@emout06.mail.aol.com> IEDSRI@aol.com writes:
>The second syllable would be the latter half of a poetic pronunciation of the
>word "marche" (as "marche-euh", so to speak) -- a stylistic nicety that Kate
>Bush made sporadic use of in "Un Baiser d'enfant" and "Ne t'enfuis pas".

It's been eight or nine years since my last class in French Literature,
but as I recall, the poetic pronunciation of 'marche' only applies when
the following word begins with a consonant or an aspirate h.  For example,
the phrase 'marche vite' (walks quickly) would be pronounced 'mar=che vite'.
However, 'marche avec' (walks with), ought to be pronounced 'marche a-vec',
since 'avec' begins with a vowel.

I hate to be nitpicky about this (as if no one were EVER nitpicky on
r.m.g.  ;) ;) ;), but surely Kate is more careful with her French
pronunciation than this.

Perhaps the verb is in a different tense?  Maybe, "L'amour marchait
avec un etranger" (Love was walking with a stranger)?

Or, maybe I'm just off my rocker -- is there significant precedence
in French poetry for poronouncing the mute e in front of a vowel that
I'm not aware of?

Yours for more aKuraTe transKripTions. . .
Heath