Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Eeks!

From: violet@slip.net
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 08:10:40 -0800
Subject: Eeks!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Elizabeth wrote:
>KaTe Ceilidh (pronounced kay-lee, the gallic word for party).

Zowee!  Gallic and Gaelic are two totally different things!

>You know I've never liked the title Kate-mas for our Kate worshipping parties.
>(Visions of a massive Kate come to mind, hmph!)  I've often felt that an more
>appropiate title for a party, given K.B.'s Irish connection, would be a
>KaTe Ceilidh

I really like Katemas and think it's perfect.  The suffix -mas is Middle
English and means a festival or celebration, which is what Katemas is.  I
associate it with the pagan festivals of Lammas (a harvest festival) and
Candlemas (a wintertide festival).  Candlemas is also used in the Church as
a day commemorating the Virgin Mary, but this is not the same as the
original Candlemas belonging to the pagans and witches.  Christianity has
found a way to abscond with virtually every pagan holiday and turn it into
it's own.  The Church scheduled the major holidays of Christmas and Easter
to coincide with, (and thus overshadow) two of the major pagan holidays:
the Winter Solstice and May Eve.  But I digress.  I think of Katemas as
being very pagan-sounding.  I find it beautiful.  But then again, I think
anyone should certainly be able to call their own personal Kate festival
anything they darn well want to.  And they can happily invite several
friends, if the mood so strikes them.   They could even call it "Kate's
Birthday."

Anyway, Elizabeth, if the ending -mas makes you think icky thoughts, I hope
that for your sake you're not Catholic, as having to go to Mass just might
do you in permanently.  And THEN who would ever host a Kate Ceilidh? :)

Violet
xoxox

        +    "Give me coffee, and no one gets hurt."    +